Chapter 11:

A good question that, and one since the attack on Harmony, Fiona and Steven keep asking.

The couple had done everything in their power to gain it, and still nothing.

Steven. 'The newspaper didn't help. We thought with our story out there — being viral on YouTube; it might have done — but it never did.'

None of us could relax. The moment we try to, something always happened. For argument's sake, Katrina could be in the bath, and she would hear somebody whistling that song, this old man.

Fiona said we ought to get away for the night.

She was right. We had to get away.

 Elizabeth Berman's statement

They came to my house at eight-thirty on November 25th. And when I first saw them, I couldn't believe how tired they all looked.

You could see it in their faces. They were exhausted, not just physically — but mentally.

Straight away, the girls crashed out on the sofa.

'They must be drained.' I said.

Steven sat on the floor with his hands resting on his knees and said they were.

'You have to move out of there.'

'You don't think we've not tried that?' Fiona said.

She sounded upset, and I couldn't blame her. I was stating what she already knew.

'We've been to the housing; told them the problems — we're having.'

'And?'

'And nothing, a big waste of time.'

'They didn't believe you?'

'What do you think? They even made us sign a piece of paper, stating that if we were lying, it would mean prosecution for fraud.'

Steven came over into the conversation.

'It doesn't matter if we do move out; it can easily follow us.'

When he said that — I began thinking, what if something happens to me?

Yet, looking at the girls sleeping, Steven with Fiona, I had stopped being selfish.

'Well, you can stay here as long as you like.' I told them.

'No, we just stay here for the night and then go back tomorrow.' Fiona said.

The rest of the night, we didn't speak — but thought about the problems in that house. Later, as everyone slept, I woke up at three in the morning to hear something growling.

The growling noise was low. It vibrated and seemed to come from the end of the bed.

I never told Steven and Fiona what happened, but I did try to get them to stay for another night.