Chapter 1 - Secrets and Lies.

For some, being Stoic is a way of life - a quality of strength. For Adam Nye, It's a weakness - a curse. Everyone has secrets, but Adam has more than he can count, some even from himself.

 He sat listening to the tick-tock of the pendulum - following its movement from left to right made him relax. The psychiatrist seated opposite him tried drawing out some of his more elusive memories. Adam's breathing became regulated, mechanical. His chin lowered as his eyes became slits of their former selves.

"How old are you right now?" She whispered leaning closer to him.

"Six," he sighed with his fists clenched.

She watched them clench tight and jotted a note on her pad.

"What season is it?"

"Winter," he responded, his voice coming from someplace far away.

"Look outside and tell me what can you see."

She knew that this would strengthen the mental image in his mind.

"The snow is everywhere, children are playing, having snow fights."

"Are you playing also?"

Adam hesitated and spoke softly.

"No, I'm watching them from behind the curtain."

"Interesting," she mumbled to herself.

"What day is it, Adam?"

Adam breathed a deep, and heavy sigh but remained silent.

She tilted her head to the side, fascinated by his willpower.

"What day is it?" She asked more forceful but still in a soft register.

"Thursday," he whispered as a tear formed and ran down his cheek.

"I hate Thursdays," he spoke, his voice childlike but full of venom.

"What's so bad about Thursdays?" she asked, knowing full-well the answer, it was, after all, already in her file.

Adam's hands were clenched so tight that blood started to drop onto the carpet. He clenched his jaw and began to grind his teeth together. Despite this, the psychiatrist wasn't about to stop just yet. Progress was the opening of old wounds.

"Answer me, what's so bad about Thursdays?" she asked observing the pain and stress in his face.

"He beats us on Thursdays - I think one Thursday he's going to kill us." Adam sighed.

She grinned with delight, this was marvelous - after all this time Adam's subconscious trusted her. She was about to press on with another question when her alarm sounded.

"Son of a..."

She looked at Adam and sighed, they were out of time. With a snap of her fingers and the code word. Adam opened his eyes and stared around the room confused.

"We're out of time, unfortunately. I'll see you again next week say around 5?" she asked already pulling herself to her feet.

"Whatever," he mumbled and stood - he had his hand on the doorknob when she spoke again.

"Do you hate Thursdays?" she asked.

Adam's shoulders tensed and he exited the room.

He was starting to open up and trust her, good.

Adam exited the clinic and walked to his car he was about to open the car door when his phone rang. He retrieved it and stared at the dialer and sighed.

"Hello, sexy,"

"Hey yourself. How's work? Having fun while I'm all alone at home."

He tensed his jaw, he hated lying to Rose, but it just wasn't in his nature to share. Especially when he couldn't remember what he was sharing exactly.

She thought he was in work right now and if he knew Rose she was toying with him right now, probably lay on her bed and biting her lip.

"Sounds like your the one having fun babe." he laughed and opened the driver side door.

"Maybe," she placed emphasis on the word itself to torment him.

"And if I was to get in my car and drive home would you be upstairs?" he asked teasing her.

"I would."

He could mentally visualize her grinning on the bed, stretched out like a feline. He placed the phone near the ignition and turned the key, the car revved and he heard her laughter through the phone.

"I'm on my way," he said fastening his seatbelt.

"I should do this more often... Will work be okay with this?" she asked dropping the charade.

"I finished early. I was about to call you when you called me," he lied.

Rose was silent on the phone and this unnerved him. Did she know?

"Lucky me," she taunted and ended the call.

Adam clenched his fists tight around the wheel and sighed. He hated lying to her to like this but he was too ashamed of his mental state. It was better to keep this from her - If, or when, he finally found the answers he sought, then, and only then, he would tell her everything.