Chapter 10 - Let her go

Start from the beginning

Feeling slightly numb, she slid into the passenger seat.

She couldn't believe so much time could pass. If she were there for a year, in their time, how much time would pass here? She could live a full life there and come back here to live another life.

Would her body age while she was gone? Would someone assume her dead if she were gone for too long?

"Ashley, are you okay?" Someone grabbed her hand, sending shocks through her.

"Will that ever stop happening?"

He sighed and let go of her. "I don't know. I don't think it’s ever happened with a Secret and Holder before, except the first time they have contact. That's kind of how we know who you are." He shrugged and started the car. “So where to?”

She was silent as she wondered if she should tell him where she worked. He still didn’t know, but they were friends now, right? “How do I know I can trust you with the address of where I work?”

He looked at her in surprise. “You’re kidding me, right?”

She shook her head, barely managing to keep her smile hidden. “You’re the one that gave me the rose and lied about its meaning.”

He groaned, hitting his head on the back of the seat. “You said you were over that. You said it didn’t matter anymore.”

Anger coursed through her as she turned in her seat to face him. “I can’t believe you thought I would let you go that easily. You knew how hard it was for me to trust someone, and just when I start to give you my trust, you betray it. You lied to me. It may have been something small, but how do I know it won’t grow into something that could possibly be life threatening? How do I know you’ll keep me safe when we go to the other world? How do I know that when you stopped me, you didn’t stop me from doing something I was meant to do? How can I trust you?”

His eyes were wide and his mouth hung open.

“If you can’t give me any reason to trust you, then I’m sorry, but I don’t think I can.” She pushed open the door and started climbing out. A small part of her was screaming at her to cut it out and let him explain, but a bigger part, the hurt part, told her she was doing the right thing.

She had promised to stop pushing people away, but there was nothing else she could do. Scott had betrayed her. Something like a flower didn’t mean much, but if you were using the meaning behind it, it obviously would mean a lot, and he had lied. He gave her a rose meaning love and commitment and asked for friendship.

Did he have something more planned for the future? Was he going to try and lure her into his arms and keep her there? Was he going to hurt her?

She shook her head as she walked away. She wouldn’t let that happen. She wasn’t going to let anyone hurt her ever again. For far too long she had let people walk all over her, and it was time to end it.

Just as she reached the end of the parking lot a car drove up beside her, a very familiar black car with a very annoying driver in it, to be more specific.

“Ashley, please, just let me explain. I never meant to hurt you. I promise I would never do something like that.”

“Oh, but you already did. I trusted you Scott, and you lied.” As she continued walking the car stayed with her.

“What can I do to get you to trust me again?”

She stopped and finally turned to face him. “Don’t you remember what I said Scott? I only have so much trust to give. Once it’s gone its gone.” She could see the fear in his eyes, but she easily ignored it. “You’ve lost it Scott. I don’t know if there’s a way to get it back. I just can’t believe I trusted you.”