The Slytherin and The Gryffindor

Drarry AU – Sixth Year

Chess pieces fought across the board as Harry and Ron sat opposite each other engrossed in their game. Hermione sat beside them, her head buried in a book as the three of them enjoyed a free period beside the Great Lake. The mousy-haired girl turned her nose up at the game the boys were playing, one that she called 'barbaric' and buried it back in her book. As usual, the trio sat alone, comfortable in the quietude, however they were soon interrupted by the appearance of three Slytherin students. 

"Potter." Draco Malfoy drawled, flanked by Crabbe and Goyle. "Weasley, Granger."

Sunlight bounced off of Draco's platinum blonde hair and the deep black of his suit brought out the silver-blue hue in his eyes. He was almost beautiful. Harry rose as the three Slytherins drew nearer, drawing himself up to the same height as Draco. The two stared at each other, Ron and Hermione slowly standing up behind Harry, unsure of what to do. 

"Malfoy," greeted Harry tersely, nodding at the boy opposite him. 

Draco smirked as he shot a swift glance over his shoulder at Crabbe and Goyle before whispering them instructions. Crabbe and Goyle both pulled their wands from inside their robes and pointed them at Harry. Taking a step backwards, Harry shook his head. 

"No need. I'll come quietly." He turned to face Ron and Hermione and shrugged as they looked at him incredulously. 

Trudging after Draco and the others, Harry nonchalantly put his hands in his pockets and hunched his shoulders. Ron and Hermione had to think he was doing this against his will. Harry  was aware of his friends contemplating following them but peripherally watched them drop to the grass in defeat, returning to their prior activities. Following the group of Slytherins into the corridor Harry glanced around to make sure nobody was following them. When he was also satisfied that the four of them were alone, Draco pushed open the door to an empty classroom and ushered Harry inside. Crabbe and Goyle waited beside the open door as Draco attempted to remove Peeves from their space. Once the poltergeist had finally left, he shut the door and left Crabbe and Goyle outside to keep watch. Neither Crabbe nor Goyle knew the real reason Draco and Harry would make these shows to get themselves together. Harry had positioned himself on a table and grinned when Draco turned to face him. 

"Hi," he whispered when Draco was stood in front of him. 

Draco's smile was one of the most beautiful things in his eyes and he just couldn't help but stare as the boy stood before him grinned. Leaning in for a kiss, Draco held firmly onto Harry's shoulders as Harry leaned into him. 

"This is definitely worth all the sneaking around," murmured Harry and Draco pulled away, staring at him. 

"Don't you think we should start telling people?" Draco asked, his hands still resting on Harry's shoulders.

Harry was surprised by Draco's suggestion. The two of them had been dating for nearly two years now and not a single person knew it. Neither of them had been quite sure they'd wanted to tell people. They weren't sure how people would react. To the outside world, Draco and Harry hated each other and spent their entire school careers either avoiding or bullying each other. The entire school would have a breakdown if they knew. But maybe it wasn't such a bad idea. Harry rested his hands on the lapels of Draco's black suit as he thought. 

"If you're worried, we can start off with only a few pe-"

Harry interrupted Draco with a kiss. "Let's do it. Let's tell everyone."

It was Draco's turn to be confused. Harry hopped off the desk and took Draco's hand in his before heading towards the door. Crabbe and Goyle were the first people to know. As Harry and Draco left the class room, Crabbe and Goyle stared after them as they made their way hand in hand down the corridor. They passed a group of students that paid very little attention to them but neither of them were prepared for the crush of sixth years that were out on the green. As they made their way, hand in hand, across the grass people began to stop and stare. Draco's grip on Harry's hand tightened as the students began to whisper to each other, standing up to make their way towards the couple as they turned to face each other, Draco leaning down to whisper in Harry's ear. Soon everybody from their year was crowded around them, staring. Absolutely nobody had been expecting this. Draco rested his hands on Harry's waist as Harry wrapped his arms around his neck. Ron and Hermione were lost somewhere in the back of the crowd but Harry could hear a familiar voice cut through the heavy silence. 

"Hey, Harry, mate, we were waiting for you to come back. What did you do with Malf-" Ron's voice trailed off as he watched his best friend entwined in the arms of the Slytherin head boy.  

"I love you Harry," Draco whispered so only Harry could hear.

Harry smiled. "I love you too, Draco."

Draco leaned down and gently caught Harry's lips. A few murmurs ran through the crowd but the two boys simply smiled in to the kiss, happy that they had finally told everybody. No more hiding, no more pretending and no more lying. They could be happy and relaxed together wherever they went. And with a bit of wishful thinking then maybe, just maybe, the fraught tension that existed between Gryffindors and Slytherins could be dissolved.