37. Complicated Lessons

Start from the beginning

Alexander nodded "Also, this is a cut throat task Letizia. The aim is to maximise target but if you read the briefs carefully then you can see how it can work... basically you make others bankrupt sometimes to maximise your profits. That's what Vincenzo and Tristan are good at. It's a domino effect that must be planned."

Vanessa nodded "Yes, probably Vincenzo and Tristan plan to bankrupt others by driving up the prices of the raw materials others need or other means.... It's complicated.. So don't worry Letizia. Maybe in the next lesson if the task is different, we can contribute more and work on our own. This task is beyond me."

Letizia argued "Trying to make others bankrupt? Serious? This is just a school project."

Alexander laughed "Not to Vincenzo and Tristan. It is not. Oh, this is much more than that. This is a rivalry. This is one of the lessons where Vincenzo is actually a step ahead because of his know how knowledge. Tristan still gets A+ grades because he has tutors at home but lets say Vincenzo has the edge. Tristan can equal Vicnezo's performance with much more effort. You should have been here when we did the last project." He shook his head and laughed at the memory "It was so intense. People got injured in the process and were sent to medical room. Tristan managed to get enough profits to pass his project in the last minute."

Letizia asked "So he tried to make him bankrupt too"

Alexander shook his head "No. Vincenzo managed to drive the prices up for Tristan for half the lesson. his profits went up slowly. Then only when he made the other groups bankrupt that Tristan's group depended on, then Tristan's profit picked up"

Letizia spoke "This is crazy.. But I like to do something for the group. I don't like to sit back and watch Vincenzo do all the work." She gave a look to Vincenzo who was writing like mad. He didn't react to anything she said. He was too occupied writing on the job cards and focused on the job at hand.

Alexander stated "I mean if you girls want to do more work you can join other groups. Sorry but for Vincenzo, this is about crushing other businesses so we don't fall behind Tristan's business and he doesn't crush us. What if he makes us bankrupt? He may try. So we cant afford to do anything but what Vincenzo writes. So it's your choice. You can join other groups."

Vanessa shrugged "This project is way beyond me so I stay."

Letizia looked at the other groups. She spoke quickly " I don't want to leave the group.... But this doesn't add up... Why are they pitching the projects so high then? Why is this so complicated?"

Alexander stated "This is not an ordinary school. None of this would be in exams... We just are taught off record everything that can help us survive. This level of economics is one of the things we need to know.. You know... if we have to take over our parents' businesses earlier than expected, it comes handy. People abdicate and... you know sometimes get assassinated..."

Vanessa gasped "Don't talk like that..."

Alexander stated "Why? It's the truth. Your father, uncle Georgio had to take over the Canavaro business earlier than he was ready because your grandfather was assassinated..."

Vanessa spoke "I know. But I am sensitive about this... Don't talk like that..."

Alexander spoke "Sorry sis..."

Letizia smiled "You called her sis?...."

Vanessa turned to her "I know. We are like brother and sister. My aunt Georgina really wanted a daughter but she couldn't have any more children.... So she treats me like a daughter..."

Alexander joked "Oh yeah, my mother loves her more than me. She gets more Christmas and birthday presents than I do actually. I wish I was a girl sometimes."