Chapter Thirty-One (Frank's pov)

I wake up when I hear my phone going off, so I raise myself up from the couch and look at the screen. All tiredness immediately vanishes with the speed of a tornado when I see it is Giselle's name displayed on my cell's screen. Something must be wrong. I answer. ''Giselle?''

It seems to last an eternity, but at the same time just an instant, before she speaks. "Yeah, it's me, Frank."

In my head, one question stumbles over the other, trying to beat each other in a competition of which one has the most importance and is the more urgent.

Why are you calling me? Is there something wrong? Aren't you just up, in your room?

My mind gets overloaded by so many questions, she beats me to it.

"Frank, please don't get mad, but I'm at Lucas' place."

At Lucas'? But how? I was downstairs all the time, asleep, yes, but I would wake up if someone would to sneak by. It's impossible for her to escape, the motion censors would have picked up movement if she walked out of one of the doors. Unless... she escaped through a different way.

Anger starts expanding through my bloodstream, but along comes the reminder of the freshly made promise to myself. Keep yourself under control and react in a way that's best for her. So I stay silent and wait for her to continue to talk.

"It was supposed to be fun, but suddenly some guy I didn't know hit Lucas and everything went crazy. These guys locked Vicky, Lisa and me up in a basement. Lisa thinks one of those guys is involved in some sort of human trafficking and I'm just scared, Frank. Vicky is calling 911 as I speak."

This is it. What I thought I could protect her from, could happen any moment now. I cannot afford to lose a second.

With large steps, I run to the office and unlock the lowest drawer of the mahogany desk.

Giselle's subdued voice speaks from my phone. "Frank? Are you there?"

"Yes, I'm here. Listen, stay where you are, I'm coming."

"Well, it's not like I can get out..." A sudden gunshot interrupts her voice. A couple of screams emerge as well.

Dammit.

She sounds so close, yet I am too far away to help her. "Giselle, are you okay? Where did that come from?" A girl in the background is panicking. "Giselle, do you hear me?"

"Oh my God, it came from outside, not far from the house, I think. Frank, I'm getting seriously scared."

"I'm on my way, just stay on the phone." I open the drawer and pull out my Glock. As fast as I can, I head for the car. Still calling, I put Giselle on speaker and start the engine. "Listen, can you hide somewhere?"

I drive out of the garage.

"Hide? No there's nothing here, only a couple of boxes..." Her voice fades. "Oh God. Frank, they're coming!"

"Giselle, listen to me, don't hang up the phone. Hide it in your jacket or something."

Even over the phone, I can clearly hear her breaking down.

"I... Frank... I don't want to be taken again."

That was it.

By hearing her say that, I felt something break inside of me.

"I'm not going to let that happen, Giselle."