Chapter Eleven: Ready?

Word count: 1190

"Are we really going to go through with this?" I finally questioned.
The fire was still crackling in the distance. Greg stayed far away from us and closer to the hot flames. They all looked at me like I was some kind of alien, they didn't really think that following a stranger was a good idea?
"Bro, of course, they think it's a dope idea," Matt's voice sniggered humourlessly. "Have you forgotten who you're talking to?"
"Ray, not now," Addy breathed out and rubbed his face in exasperation. He looked more tired than usual, thick bags hung beneath his eyes and his hair was stuck up so it looked like one huge curly mop had fallen onto his head. His usual tan brown skin looked slightly paled. There was a cut running along his forehead that stopped just above his eyebrow that I hadn't noticed before. The blood had long since dried up.
"We've been searching for a safe house and now we've found one," Chris said. His voice smooth and soft despite the thick accent he's always carried.
"And how do we know it's safe? Because some strangers told us so, it could be another bandit trap!" I outburst. Addy scoffed at me, I gathered he knew I was going to say that before I even knew I was going to say it.
"Well, if we don't take a chance we'll never know," Chris cut in before Addy had a chance to make a remark.
I held my injured arm tightly, a chill ran down my neck even though the door was closed and the air was getting warmer as the winter sun hung low, sending specks of sunlight through the windows. There was a sweet promise of a less harsh morning ahead but the weather didn't reflect what may happen.
"I don't feel comfortable gambling with my life like this," I mumbled as I ran my fingers over my bumpy bandaging. Addy grasped my arm to stop me and stayed holding me firmly.
"And I don't feel fucking comfortable living like this anymore!" He threw my arm back towards my body. "I want somewhere warm and somewhere safe."
"Ha, don't we all."
"Nowhere's safe," I hissed. How many times had I told him that? He never listened to me and he never would. I thought he would've figured it out by himself but Addy always was an optimist. He sees the best in people and thinks people are innocent until proven guilty. He thinks the stranger will help and that's all he'll ever believe until proven wrong.
"Says who!? You? The guy who doesn't trust anyone or anything, give me a break," Addy mocked. "We're leaving." He paused for a second. He looked at the stranger, still huddled by the fire, he looked at Ash and Chris before finally he set his eyes back on me. His mouth was set in a grim line. "We're leaving - with or without you."
"Addy..." I began softly, the word left my mouth in a whisper. I clenched my good hand into a fist, I looked down at the grimy supermarket floor. He was right. I didn't like it here either. When we first arrived at the building it had been a saviour but after a night we all still looked like crap and all we had to show for it was another mouth to feed. "Fine."
"Fine?" Addy repeated.
"I'm coming," I gave in. "I can't stop you from going and I'm not staying here without any of you."
"Glad you're finally seeing sense." Addy folded his arms neatly over his chest and rolled his eyes at me.
"Do you want me to change my mind?"
"We're coming," Addy shouted over to Greg but he didn't look away from me. I heard the scuff of a shoe against the shop floor, I looked to see Greg standing up and making his way over to us.
"All of you?" Greg looked directly at me when he said it and then down at Scruffy who was still acting weird.
"Told you that dog's bonkers..."
I looked at Scruffy and saw he was hiding behind me, it wasn't his usual behaviour even for him. He obviously had a problem with Greg, but I couldn't identify specifically what his problem with the man was... other than the fact he seemed to be a complete and utter ass when it came to me.
"Yeah, problem?" I arched an eyebrow.
"Not at all." He smiled but it wasn't a nice one, it didn't reach his eyes. "How about you introduce me to your lovely pet?" Greg strode over to Scruffy who arched his back and backed away from him even more.
"I don't think he's up for strangers today," I told him steadily and stood between the stranger and Scruffy. "Try again later."
"Okay, magic 8 ball. Whatever you say." The man chuckled, obviously thinking he was funny. He put his hands up in the air so I could see them as he backed away, the smile that never reached his eyes ever present on his face. "We leave at midday." It was then I noticed he had a watch on his wrist, either it wasn't working or he had somehow managed to find batteries for it.
"Wherever he's taking ya, it's gonna be hella stocked up!"
Maybe it was worth a look. If anything we could get some supplies and leave. Stay for a few days, let everyone get well rested and then take off back on the road. Just the five of us - five including Scruffy, not that horrible Gregson guy.
"How far is this place?" Ash questioned. She had been awfully quiet since Greg had arrived.
"Not too far, pretty lady," Greg smirked her way and I felt hot anger bubble away inside me.
I soon pushed it back and picked up the throw from the ground, it still felt warm. I rolled it up and shoved it between my back and my backpack. Everyone else filled their backpacks with food and eventually we were ready to leave. 

The sun was high in the sky although almost hidden behind clouds. Greg's watch slowly ticked by until it hit 12.
"Ready?"
"Aye," Chris answered for us and hitched his bag further onto his back.
"Yeah," Ash and Addy said at the same time whilst I just mumbled my answer, not really wanting to leave but finding myself walking out of the door anyway. Scruffy stopped before his paw reached the ground outside and whimpered at me.
"Come on, boy." I knelt down next to him and rubbed the back of his ear softly. "It'll be okay, I won't let anything bad happen to you."
I stood up slowly and Scruffy tentatively followed me through the car park. I stayed behind the group and watched Greg as he talked to them all. Smiled with them. Looked out for any threats with them. To outsiders, it would seem as though he belonged but I knew differently.
"Infected up ahead," Greg informed us.
"They're slow so just keep walking," I grumbled back as I stared at the Dead in the distance.