Carnival - Leo x Reader

Game booths were scattered throughout the camp. Smells of cotton candy, candy apples, and popcorn filled the air. A towering ferris wheel stood in the center of the cabins.

The climbing wall had been transformed into a game in which balloons were set up for campers to throw darts at them to win the prizes they contained. The only catch was that the fireproof balloons would squirt out lava if you picked the wrong balloon to pop. Screams were definitely frequently heard from that general area.

Hazel could be seen manning the face-painting station while Frank assisted her, kindly handing her the colors that she needed. The Hermes cabin were in charge of the Dunking Booth, with Jason as the star, although you could tell by his scowl that he had been forced into doing it. The Ares cabin created a punching booth, as opposed to the Aphrodite cabin, who made a kissing booth.  The Hephaestus cabin took the liberty of hosting a talent show at the amphitheater, and Demeter cabin put together a petting zoo full of cute creatures that no one really knew the names of. And, much to Chiron's distaste, there was a station toward the stables where you could have pony rides. (But you weren't really sure why the campers were so thrilled by the idea of ponies, since they had ridden pegasi many times before.)

The remainder of the cabins had smaller booths that were put together, although most of them had opted to just enjoy the carnival as a whole.

Weeks of preparation was put into this event after the months of begging Mr. D to agree to a Camp Half Blood Carnival.

You, particularly, had been a strong advocate for this carnival to happen, after you found out how many campers had never even heard of a carnival. Last month, you explained the concept of bobbing for apples to Nico, to which he responded, flabbergasted, "Why don't they just use their hands to get the apples?"

Excitedly looking around at the decked out camp, you had no idea where to go first.

A voice behind you spoke, "Not to brag or anything, but I bet you couldn't beat me at the pie-eating contest."

You turned around to meet Leo's eyes, which were gleaming proudly.

"Oh yeah?" You challenged, "Watch me."

_________________

Three hours later, both of your stomachs were filled with pie, funnel cakes, and cotton candy. You hugged a stuffed Hippocampus in your arms, a reward for hitting the target on the Dunking Booth that sent Jason into a tank of water.

A ribbon that now adorned your shirt read, "1st place, pie-eating machine." Leo would have won if he hadn't thrown up everything back into the pie tin that had been empty just few seconds prior.

Now, the sky was colored pink, and the sun slowly moved its way down to the horizon.

It was time for you two to partake in the best part of the carnival: the Ferris Wheel.

You giddily made your way to the ride, not bothering to check if Leo was keeping up.

"Wait up!" He called after you.

"You're too slow!"

You climbed into the ride with Leo trailing after you. The ride slowly made its way upward as you got settled.

"You know, I'm surprised you didn't volunteer for running the kissing booth. I bet you're dying to catch a bunch of girls' lips there," you teased.

"It hurts that you have such a low opinion of me," Leo scoffed, not entirely joking.

"Oh come on, lover boy. Be real."

"I am! Jeez, how many times do I have to tell you that I am a changed man?" He ran a hand through his curls frustratedly. The fact that (Y/n) saw him as some kind of playboy who would jump at the chance for cheap kisses from girls he didn't know bothered him now more than anything. And the worst part was that it wasn't exactly an unfair opinion.

"Whatever you say," you sang playfully, which was quickly followed by you making kissy noises at him.

Leo deadpanned. "Die."

"Aw, I'm kidding. You know I love you," you smiled genuinely, elbowing him in the side.

"Hey, I'm serious," he looked away from you, ignoring the way his heart raced at your words, "I'm not going for those other girls anymore."

Your ears perked up at his choice of words. "Other girls? Girls other than who?" You pressed.

"Are we really talking about this here? Now?" Leo tried avoiding the question, just like how his eyes were most definitely focusing on avoiding yours.

"Is there really a designated time and place for you to reveal this mystery girl that you're hiding from me?" You pouted.

"Yeah, there is actually: never." Leo crossed his arms.

"Pleeeeeaaaasee," you begged, "Do I know her?"

"You know everyone."

"So yes?"

"...No."

"Oh my gods, I do, don't I?"

Leo put his head into his hands and sighed, "It's just someone that's really special to me."

"What does her name start with?"

Leo groaned. "Do I really have to spell it out for you?"

"Well it's not my fault you're in love with someone you never even talk about," you cross you arms and look away towards the camp grounds below. Your ferris wheel cart is making its way closer to the top."I would've thought that my best friend would tell me these things. And now you have this secret crush that you won't even begin to explain. Like really? It's almost like you don't trust me and-"

Leo's lips met yours. It was so quick, you didn't even have the chance to close your eyes.

He pulled away, looking at you with uncertainty.

You blink. You finally reach the top of the Ferris Wheel, but right now it feels like you're at the top of the world.

You're at a loss for words, but
not-so-thankfully, your mouth does the work for you.

"...you taste like pie," you awkwardly blurt out. "I mean! I like pie- so I liked that- and yeah you taste... good."

Leo laughed at your flustered state. "Thanks?"