The in between chapter ;)

~Jace POV~

I was waiting patiently for Chase to come over. I had to admit, it felt great having someone to keep me company. I felt so alone in this old and broken home. I knew I shouldn’t have let them go.

I shook my head as I tried to read one of my favorite books, it wasn’t working. I kept getting off track with my thoughts. I ended up throwing the book across the room. At that moment someone knocked on my door. I opened it up finding Chase. He looked pissed.

“What happened today?” I asked. “Well…me and Josh are friends…sort of. We have issues with each other. He knows about you…he doesn’t like you.” He said. Of course he would know…Matthew would tell him of course.  I nodded. “And I don’t like him.” I said before I realized I was saying it. I walked away then and went to pick up my book. Chase shut the door.  “Jace I don’t want to talk about him right now. I’ve had enough of him to last me a good four months. I want to talk about you.” He said.

Why would this child want to talk about me? I thought that he was in love with his little friend. I nodded hesitantly. “Ok.” I saw as his whole face twisted into pure pain. I didn’t like that. And then I took a good look at what he was wearing.

It really surprised me, considering he was dressed completely different yesterday. I looked from his shoes to his face. Still not happy. But less pain. His eyes were in a medium between liquid and solid. There was no light in them what so ever. I didn’t like it at all. But why?

I shook my head and invited him to the kitchen. He followed quietly. I poured myself some water and offered him a drink. He shook his head, we both sat at the island. “Ask away.” I said.

“Are you nineteen?” He asked. I nodded. “What’s going on between you and Matthew?” He asked harshly. I looked him dead in his eye and saw just how much pain he was in. I sighed. “We were the best of friends, like you and Josh. But instead of doing what you did to drive yourselves apart, we got together. And then one day I woke up and my bed was empty, his clothes were gone, all that was left was a note that said he didn’t mean to get me mixed up in a mess. I don’t know what he meant…and I was in love…” I said. I felt the tears brim, but bit my lip to keep from crying. I wouldn’t cry.

“ How long were you two together?” He asked cautiously. “Nine months.” I answered truthfully. He nodded his head. He seemed distant today. “What’s wrong?” I asked. He shook his head. “Just something’s my friends said today. I thought I could push it to the back of my mind and act like it never happened but I was wrong.” He said. Things were beginning to feel awkward. And then I got an idea. One that I hope wasn’t about to fuck everything up.

“You wanna go somewhere?” I asked. He looked up at me, curiosity in his eyes. “Like?” He prompted. I chuckled at him. “Well, I have a cousin who lives in the next town over and he happens to own a club there…I could get us in.” I said. His face lit up but then it paled also. “What?” I asked. “Um…is your cousin a twenty-three year old…that goes by the name of Tristan?” He asked. I nodded. “How do you know?” I asked. He reached behind him into his back pocket and pulled out a key. “What about it?” I asked.

“There’s only five other keys to match it. He owns the house it goes to.” Chase said. I finally caught on. “You know him.” I said. He nodded. “Well how’d you meet him?” I asked curious as to how he came across my cousin in the next town over. He seemed to flinch visibly and I watched as the happiness recoiled inside again. He shook his head and looked down. “Ask him yourself if you want to know. Or more like ask Damien.” He whispered.

I reached out to him and lifted his face up. His eyes were avoiding mine. I just stared, waiting for him to crack.

Five minutes passed ad he didn’t crack.