Chapter 24

Lauren POV

I hear footsteps at my door running in place as a knock takes place.

I get up from my bed and walk over to it and open the door.

"Mommy!" Carter runs through the door. He goes past me and climbs up on my bed and starts jumping. "Tay Tay, look!"

I grab my child off my bed before he falls off and we end up at the hospital all night.

"Carter, can you go to your room for a minute?"

He throws his arms across his chest and marches out.

I look at my sister. "Why do you have Carter?'

"Zayn paid me." Taylor shrugs. "Not that I have to be paid to be around Carter but it is a Saturday night."

Taylor is assuming I'm upset at her, but I'm not. "What do you mean Zayn paid you?"

"Well he asked Chris to watch Carter tonight, but he said no because he is going to Camila's party."

I clench my fist to my side trying my hardest not to explode.

"Why isn't Carter with Zayn?" I ask through gritted teeth.

Taylor gives me a headshake. "I have no idea. Carter said Zayn said something about a show."

I bite my tongue as hard as I could. "He lied to our son? I am going to kill him."

"How do you know he lied?"

"He is going to the party." I hissed. "That's how I know he lied! How long have you had Carter?"

Taylor looks away.

"I asked, how long have you had Carter?"

Taylor slowly brings her eyes back to me. "9ish."

"He's dead."

"It's not a big deal Lauren." Taylor tries to defend him.

I look at her firmly. "Not a big deal? He lied to Taylor."

"So, Carter is four."

"You don't understand because you don't have a kid!" I snap. "Zayn barely sees him! He picked a party over his own child. Who the hell cares how old Carter is? This is just the start."

I don't want to take my anger out on her, but it's frustrating that she doesn't get it.

"So does that mean you aren't going now?" Taylor asks.

"This isn't the same situation as Zayn. I'm with Carter as much as I possibly can be. This is Zayn's weekend with him." I can't believe he did this. "But yes, I am not going anymore."

Taylor goes to talk but I shake my head.

"Just go Taylor. Do whatever you had planned in the first place."

I walk by her to go to Carter's room. There he is on the ground playing with his train tracks. I take a seat beside him.

"Are you going to play with me mommy?" There is hope in his eyes that is so adorable but it scares me.

I don't want my kid to ever feel like I don't want to play with him or be around him. I fear that he might feel that way with his dad and it breaks my heart.

I don't care if people say he is young. The impressions we have now will shape Carter in the future. Kids still feel the absence of a parent whether we think so or not.

"Of course I will play with you."

Carter is my life. Carter comes first. It has to be that way. I can't and won't change that... ever.