"What?" exclaimed Emilia, growing pale. Her smile was gone, replaced by a look of shock that was almost comical.

"Yes, here it is," Mrs. Webb handed over the letter cheerfully and Emilia took it, emotions crawling over each other in her chest like prisoners in a pit, desperate to escape.

With trembling fingers she opened the envelope, the familiar swirling writing send chills down Emilia's back. There were two small creamy pieces of paper, dated almost two weeks ago.

Dearest Emilia,

How I've missed you! I know I've so much to explain to you. It turns out your father had been hiding all your letters from me. I had no idea how to reach you and I was so worried! How was I to know what had happened to you? Oh I've been so worried. June has reassured me that you are fine, it's just as well, but I've been so concerned.

But I cannot speak ill of your father, oh I shudder to think of it, but he had an accident and he cut open his leg and it is horribly infected. By the time this has reached you I fear that he may have passed. I pray for him every night, I cannot have him snatched away from me as you and Samuel have been.

Speaking of Samuel, he has been cleared! The police have found the real murderer and of course, as we knew it would be, Samuel is innocent.

So please, please come back to England. I have enclosed a check for 50 pounds and I am begging you to return as soon as you can, I need you two more than anything now.

You must tell me everything about America! You must have seen and done so much. Although it was cruel of your father to send you away I must admit that you are lucky to have gone so far, so young. As painful as it was for me to said you away I am glad at least you got to travel.

Are you married? You must be, oh there is so much to tell!

All my love,

Mama

Emilia held the letter tightly in her hand, her face twisted in pain as she crumpled to the floor, tears coming fast and thick.

"My dear!" Mrs. Webb looked up from her reading and rushed over to Emilia's side and placed an arm around her, pulling her close. "What's the matter?"

But how could Emilia explain? There was so much wrong. Max no longer loved her, her father was ill and possibly dead. Though he had been cruel to her, he was her father and she didn't wish any harm to come to him, her mother wanted her to leave Boston, everything seemed to be crumbling from under her. "Everything," Emilia managed to choke out before convulsing again.

Jane, upon seeing her mother in such grief also burst into tears and Emilia reached out her arms for her daughter.

"My dear, everything can't be wrong." Mrs. Webb looked distressed but pressed Emilia close to her chest. "What you need is a hot cup of tea and a warm bath."

"I have nowhere to bathe." Emilia choked out. She was homeless on top of everything.

"Nonsense! You stay here tonight. Your old room is still empty. There now, sit on a chair and I'll get some tea. The water's still warm so it shan't take long." Mrs Webb bustled about while Emilia, through her own tears, soothed her daughter. Soon after Mrs. Webb handed her the cup of tea and Emilia sipped it gratefully, sniffing hard.

"Now dear, your brother stopped by and gave me this to give to you. He's moved to some rooms about ten minutes away."

"Oh, thank you," Emilia had forgotten the original purpose of her visit here and took the paper gratefully. "I'll go to him tonight."

An American Promise (Book 2)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें