I Built You A Staircase To Heaven With Pieces of Myself

A/N: Okay, wow, this is really late. Thank you so much for being patient. This story comes from a prompt by the winner of my fanfiction giveaway, ObsessedPhanTrash and it went: After Dean got back from he'll he feels like part of him is missing. Whenever he is around cas this feeling disappears. It turns out that when Cas put Dean back together he left part of his grace I'm Dean and parts of Deans soul are now apart of him. Cas has to explain this to him when Dean awkwardly mentions it! Is it possible to make it quite fluffy?

Heaven had sent Castiel into the pits of Hell with one mission: find Dean Winchester and bring him back. No one else had wanted to take the job, all thinking it a fool's journey. Very few people had ever left Hell before, and none who had been there for as long as the Winchester. Why would they even want to bring him back? He had brought this upon himself, trading his soul for his brother's life. To bring him back would be to meddle in the natural order of things, something they tried to avoid as much as possible. Still, whispers filled Heaven of a greater plan structured by their father, and it involved Dean Winchester.

So they sent down Castiel, and he went willingly, though a bit numbly if he had to admit it. After all, what did he care for this man? He was only a mission.

It wasn't difficult to locate him after Castiel had entered Hell. The hunter's soul seemed to call to him like a beacon, shining brightly through the throngs. When he finally reached Dean Winchester, all that was left of him were dull green eyes and a knife in his hand. He had adapted to survive in this new, cruel environment. His soul was beaten, battered, seemingly broken beyond repair. Castiel approached him, and Dean looked at him as if he were nothing more than the next victim. When the angel told Dean that he was there to save him, he snorted and told Castiel to save himself.

He left, and went back to the officials in Heaven, telling them it was a mission destined for failure. They told him to try again. He begged for them to let him off the hook, for how could he save a soul that didn't want saving, that enjoyed being the monster it had made itself into. They brought forth no answers, simply ushering him back to those daunting gates.

He went back to Dean, and told him that he had been ordered to save him. Dean looked at him skeptically again, but this time offered no rebuttal. So Castiel collected the fractured pieces of his soul and started to put him back together, like a jigsaw puzzle. The only problem was that some pieces didn't fit the way they used to. Some were missing, some were changed, some were new. In the end, he was left with green eyes and a Frankenstein soul that didn't work yet.

So he placed his hand on Dean Winchester's shoulder and glued the pieces of him back together, filling in all the cracks and gaps with his own self until Dean stood the proud and strong hunter he once was. Then he gripped him tight and raised him from perdition.

|D|O|S|

There weren't any forthcoming experts on the field, but Dean assumed that when a person came back from Hell, they didn't come back exactly the same. He assumed there was supposed to be something missing, or different at least, because, you know... hell. 

So he just assumed that when he came back feeling not quite right, it would fade with time. Maybe as he reunited with Sammy, got back to hunting, worked to regain his own, convoluted standard of normal, he would feel whole again.

But he didn't.

Until two barn doors blew open and some stupid, messy haired guy in a trench coat walked in and declared, piercing Dean with eyes that were just too blue to be human, that he had brought him back to hell. As soon as he set eyes on this man who claimed to be an angel, Dean had felt... whole. For the first time since he had been back, nothing was missing anymore.