"Did you tell Professor Snape we haven't covered them yet?" Lupin asks, frowning slightly.

The babble breaks out again.

"Of course we did, but does he give a fu -"

"- but he said we were really behind -"

"- he wouldn't listen -"

"- two roll of parchment!"

"Alright, Elinor, we get it," Maya mutters.

Professor Lupin smiles at the look of indignation in every face.

"Don't worry. I'll speak to Professor Snape. You don't have to do the essay."

"Oh no," says Hermione, looking very disappointed. "I've already finished it!"

Actually so have I, but I was only looking into my werewolf theory. Guess who was right? ME! Not that I'm going to tell anyone...

We have a very enjoyable lesson. Professor Lupin has brought along a glass box containing a Hinkypunk, a little one-legged creature who seems as though he's made of wisps of smoke, rather frail and harmless-looking.

"Lures travellers into bogs," says Professor Lupin, as we take notes. "You notice the lantern dangling from his hand? Hops ahead - people follow the light - then -"

The Hinkypunk makes a horrible squelching noise against the glass.

When the bell rings, everyone gathers up their things and head for the door, Harry and I among them, but -

"Wait a moment, Harry, Emily," Lupin calls. "I'd like a word."

We double back and watch Professor Lupin covering the Hinkypunk's box with a cloth.

"I heard about the match," says Lupin, turning back to his desk and starting to pile books into his briefcase, "and I'm sorry about your broomsticks. Is there any chance of fixing them?"

"No," I say. "The tree smashed it to bits."

Lupin sighs.

"They planted the Whomping Willow the same year that I arrived at Hogwarts. People used to play a game, trying to get near enough to touch the trunk. In the end, a boy called Davey Gudgeon nearly lost an eye, and we were forbidden to go near it. No broomstick would have a chance."

"Well, that's a stupid game."

"Did you hear about the Dementors, too?" says Harry.

Lupin looks at him quickly.

"Yes, I did. I don't think any of us have seen Professor Dumbledore that angry. They have been growing restless for some time ... furious at his refusal to let them inside the grounds ... I suppose they were the reason you fell?"

"Yes," says Harry. He hesitates, and then blurts out, "Why? Why do they affect me like that? Am I just -?"

"It has nothing to with weakness," says Professor Lupin sharply. "The Dementors affect you worse than the others because there are horrors in your past that others don't have."