Chapter 9

* Killian's POV *

I tried to be quiet as I snuck in the house, but the light in Regina's office clicked on just as I went past. I sighed, going in to find her sitting with a glass of wine in her pajamas.

"Well good morning, Jones," she said snidely. "And where exactly have you been this entire night?"

"With m-m-my girlfriend," I admitted quietly and her eyebrows raised. "Sh-she's been with Ruby at the retreat so I t-took her to d-dinner after the d-dance."

"I see," she nodded, seeming to be mulling over my answer. "And where is your dress shirt and tie?"

"I l-lent them to Emma," I said, not a lie, but the next part would be. "Her d-dress ripped."

"Is this before or after she gave Ruby a black eye?" She asked as she stood but I was silent. "And what about the party I just heard about being broken up? We're you there?"

"Y-yes, ma'am," I told her honestly, not wanting to give her reason not to let me see Emma. Being at a party was one thing, but lying was unforgivable. "We were there, b-but we left b-before they c-caught anyone."

"Well," she said and took a breath. "Good for you, you need to be out more. You can have Emily or whatever her name is over here as well, I know Ruby can be confrontational. Just don't get in any trouble, alright?"

"Y-yes, ma'am," I said in shock, not about to argue. "G-goodnight ma'am."

"What the hell was that?" Ruby snapped just as I thought I was safe, popping out of her room and giving me a good look at the dark purple bruise that covered nearly half her face. "She didn't even yell, what lie did you tell?"

"I d-didn't lie," I said honestly. "I t-told her what h-happened, it's not my f-fault she wasn't upset."

"Whatever," she scoffed like she didn't care though I could tell she was pissed. "I don't understand how Emma can stand you, especially with that annoying stutter. It's like, spit it out already."

"I d-don't stu-stu-stutter around her," I informed her smugly, trying not to let my stutter now deter me. "And e-even when I d-do, she d-doesn't mind. Sh-she says i-its cute."

"Ugh, gross," she shuddered. "Whatever. I hope you both know she's not getting away with this. Not only did she make me look ugly, she made a fool out of me in front of everyone. She's finished in this town."

"G-goodnight, Ruby," I said simply unconcerned and she huffed as I went to my room and shut the door. I took the rose Emma had given me off my jacket and took Emma's underwear from my pocket after changing into pajama pants. I sat on my bed with them, smirking a bit and opening my phone to look at the picture of us I'd set as my home screen. She was my lockscreen as well, my eyes never tiring of seeing her beautiful face.

(Home screen)