Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven

I heard the loud shot and took off running. I distantly heard cheers from Laur as the wind tore past me. Brett and Cameron's gazes were practically burning through my back. 

I pumped my legs faster and faster, pulling ahead of the other girls even farther. I moved my arms sharply, making sure I had good form through the run. I finally burnt the last reserve of my energy for the end stretch. My eyes squinted at the white line marking the end of the 200 meters. It came closer and closer as I sprinted to it, until...

My feet slowed to a stop, and I looked at the sky with my hands on my head. Though breathing heavily, I turned to a smiling Coach. "You beat 'em by a whole second and a quarter! That was incredible Raina, just like always," she said with approval.

I nodded in acknowledgement and went to the side bench where my water bottle was. I sat there staring at my shoes until I heard a familiar voice. "How much did you beat everyone by?" Alex asked.

"Second and a quarter," I said with a small grin.

Laur smirked proudly while the guys' eyebrows raised and they scratched their heads. "What?" I asked. "Surprised that I can actually run because I'm a girl?"

"Well, we didn't doubt you, but we didn't expect you to be... that fast," Cameron said honestly. "You should be running professionally."

"No way. I want to be a lawyer, actually," I told them.

"That's cool!" Brett commented. 

"Thank you."

"Brett-y, what are you doing with them? You should be with me," Vivian called as she walked towards us. She was wearing tennis shoes, but she was still as tall as when she was wearing heels... Oh my God, her tennis shoes are high heeled. Somebody pinch me because this cannot be real.

Cameron stepped in front of Brett before Vivian could get to him. "Sorry, did you have an appointment?" he asked with a fake smile plastered on his face.

"No," she smirked. "I don't need an appointment. I can see Brett whenever I want!"

"I don't want to see you," Brett said bluntly.

"Yes, you do! Everyone wants to see me!" she shrieked.

"Well, there's a first time for everything."

Vivian looked at me with a sickly sweet smile. "Rita!" 

"It's actually Raina--"

"Whatever. Can we, like, talk, hon?"

"Like, oh em gee, sure babe!" I mocked in a high pitched valley girl voice. I ignored her glare and followed her around the corner of the building before stopping with her.

"Okay, listen up, you disgusting... eugh," she snarled. "Brett doesn't, and never will like you. Stay away from him. He deserves better than a pesky insect like you. He deserves me!"

I snorted. "Not seeing how that's any better."

She stepped closer. "I'm serious. Stay away from him. And don't use the friend excuse on me. I've already warned you once. I won't do it again." Then she turned on her (high) heel and stalked away, leaving me speechless.

Well then, I thought as I walked back to my friends.

"What did she want?" Alex asked protectively.

I couldn't help but smile at her attitude. "She was just being stalkerish towards Brett, which I really don't get. No offense," I said to him.

He clutched his heart and feigned a hurt expression. "You wound me, Rai," he said. I rolled my eyes at this but couldn't ignore the nice feeling when he said my nickname, and the smile he brought to my face. I've known the guy for two days, but it feels like two years

"I know it's been two days since we met you guys, but it feels like we've been friends for a really long time. It's difficult to imagine that it's only--" I checked my phone,"-- thirty two hours ago that you barged into my life," I said, pointing at Brett.

"Well," he drawled. "I think we should be more permanent in each others' lives." I nearly choked at his choice of words, and he had the guts to snicker. "I mean, let's hang out tomorrow."

"Why us? We're... wallflowers. We aren't anything special compared the other flashy kids at school," Laur pointed out.

"Well, who said we want flashy? We just want people who we can act normal around," Cam admitted.

"Yeah, when you're as hot as us, people try too hard to impress you," Brett boasted,and then he winked at me.

"Okay, tomorrow. Let's make a group chat. I'll text you guys where to meet up?" After approval from everyone, and creating the group titled 'Freaks ;)' I said, "Okay, I sent the address and a picture of this little cafe we love."

"What time?" Alex asked.

"Noon?" Brett suggested.

"Okay, noon," I agreed, and so did everyone. After our goodbyes, I changed in the locker room and left the school feeling happy. The walk home was full of thoughts running through my head; How did we all become friends so fast? It's like it was meant to be. We already call each other by our nicknames, for crying out loud! Should I be worried? Nah, these guys will understand. Brett said he already knows I've been through bad stuff. The only people who know about Mom and Dad are Archer, Nick and Julia, and Alex and Lauren. So he doesn't know what happened, but he said he's there. He knows that the world can be cruel sometimes. He might just save me from my own misery.

Oh, hi again! :D Thank you so much for reading the chapter! If you are enjoying the book, please share it with your Wattpad peeps. Comment your thougts, vote, and be awesome people! Mwah!