reality | sixteen

"Can you save my heavy dirty soul?
For me."

. . . . .

"What am I doing?" I questioned as I stared at myself through the mirror that hung in the bathroom. I took a deep breath, shaking out my tense muscles.

"Relax." I jumped at the sound of Tyler's voice.

I bit at my lip nervously as I turned to look at him. My best friend stood in the doorway with a smile plastered on his face. He was having way too much fun, soaking in my misery as I got ready for my date with Bryce, if I was even allowed to call it that.

Yesterday she had called me and told me to dress warmly and even now I had no idea what she had planned. I should never have told her we could do whatever she wanted, but I had been so desperate for her to say yes.

"She should be here soon." Tyler broke me from my inner battle and I grimaced at his recent lack of sympathy toward my anxiety.

"I'm scared," I confessed as I stared back at him.

Tyler let out a quiet chuckle as he clapped me on the back and led me out of the bathroom and down the hall. "I'm pleased just over the fact that you were willing to admit that."

"Plus..." He tapped his finger against his chin in mock thought. "You should be, I mean how long has been since you even looked twice at a girl?"

I scoffed as he wiggled his eyebrows at me. "Whatever."

We headed downstairs and into the kitchen. My throat felt dry all of a sudden so I quickly poured a glass of water for myself and as soon as the cold liquid touched my lip, the doorbell rang. I jumped slightly in my place as Tyler squealed with excitement. He turned and headed for the door while I stood there in the kitchen trying to collect myself as best I could. I shut my eyes for a brief second, my lips moving silently as I told myself everything was going to be all right.

"Hey you." Hearing Bryce's chipper voice caused me to quickly open my eyes.

There she stood, still bundled up in a red scarf and the same pair of earmuffs she had worn when we had gone to the Thanksgiving fair. My cheeks felt hot as I smiled over at her sheepishly. Even with barely any skin showing, I still couldn't take my eyes off her.

"I got your coat!" Tyler bounced into the room, stopping when he came up next to Bryce.

"Well aren't you excited," She mused as her eyes fell on my friend.

Tyler snorted back a laugh as he spoke. "One of us has to be."

A quiet grunt sounded deep in my throat as Tyler shamelessly teased me in front of the girl I liked. Bryce's eyebrows raised in amusement as she looked back over at me. I said nothing, already knowing my cheeks were bright red as I took another sip of water and averted my gaze.

"Don't have too much fun without me!" Tyler called as he ushered us out the door and without waiting for a response, closed it in our faces.

My lips pursed in annoyance, feeling embarrassed because of the way my friend had acted in front of Bryce, making his hints toward my nervousness about the date more than obvious.

"Sorry about that," I muttered as we headed down the steps of the porch toward my car.

"Keys." Was all she said as she stuck her hand out, a light smile on her face. I could tell she was just loving this already.