03 | Hazelnut Soup

╔══════════════════╗

INDIANA JONES
iii. HAZELNUT SOUP

╚══════════════════╝

"INDIANA JONES, WHAT HAVE I told you about getting in fights with the older kids?" Aunt Lucy scolded, dabbing a chemical on her open wounds

"INDIANA JONES, WHAT HAVE I told you about getting in fights with the older kids?" Aunt Lucy scolded, dabbing a chemical on her open wounds. To be honest, they were only small scratches, but overreacting was Aunt Lucy's specialty after making kickass soup and sarcastic remarks. "I mean, come on. If you're gonna fight someone, at least fight someone who you have a chance against."

As mentioned before, that's Aunt Lucy for you.

"But Aunt Lu," eight-year-old Indiana Jones whined as she grew accustomed to the continuous stinging sensation that came from the woman cleaning up her extremely minor injuries, "it's not my fault William wanted to pick a fight! I told him if he kept teasing Susan, I would beat him up! She's only five! What kind of 10-year-old picks on someone half their age? A mean one! I couldn't just sit back and let it happen!"

Lucy couldn't help but smile in amusement at the girl. "Alright, alright. I hear you," Lucy told her. "Next time, talk to me first and we can go talk to William's parents. Oh, and on the contrary, I'm pretty sure you're the one who got beat up, my little hero."

Indiana rolled her eyes at the sound of this. "Aunt Lu, you're supposed to be on my side!" the brunette continued to whine. She was mainly annoyed because she ended up losing the fight. "And on the contrary, I'm not little! I'm eight!"

"I don't sound like that and no, you're just annoying," Lucy retorted in a joking and loving way. The woman proceeded to put away her medical supplies as she continued to speak to herself, despite Indiana still being in the same room as her. "And I thought the Terrible Two's were bad. We've reached a whole new level of angst, Lu."

"I'm right here, you know," Indiana called out. She hopped down from the uncomfortable wooden table she was previously sitting on.

"I know," Lucy revealed with a laugh. While her back was facing Indiana, the child stuck her tongue out at her and made a silly face. "Just because I can't see you doesn't mean I can't see that ugly face you're making, dear." Indiana merely huffed and sat down on the equally as uncomfortable wooden chair at the table. "Now, what does my little hero want for dinner?"

"It's not like I have a choice anyway," Indiana mumbled, playing with the end of her French Braid. For as long as she could remember, her Aunt Lucy never allowed her niece to pick out what the duo would consume for their meals. If Lucy did that, they would most likely eat sweets all the time, which was actually rather accurate.

Lucy turned around and leaned against the counter. "Oh, come on. Don't be like that," Lucy told her with a warm smile. "Because you got in a fight, I want you to have something nice out of today. Don't pinpoint me to be the bad guy. I find that highly offensive."

The child smiled at this. "I don't even know what that means, but I don't care! Can we have that wonderful, amazing, and incredible hazelnut soup?" Indiana requested with a puppy-like expression sitting on her childish facial features.

"Hm... nope! We're having your all-time favorite! Stew!" Lucy announced ecstatically announced as she began to pull out various ingredients from the cabinet. Indiana narrowed her blue-green-eyes at the woman once again as she did so.

"That's your all-time favorite, Aunt Lu."

Lucy hummed and said, "Yeah, that's about right."

Indiana folded her noodle-like arms over her chest and huffed, observing as her aunt got to work.

In all honesty, Lucy and Indiana were very, very similar people. This was because Lucy was the only woman and the only family member Indiana had growing up. Lucy wanted to portray herself as a fun-loving, but strict parent. Luckily, those were the two things she knew how to be best.

Come to think of it, while Aunt Lucy and her brother looked awfully similar, they were completely different when it came to personality. Lucy was fun, charismatic, and a drama-queen while Brennan was selfish and boring in her opinion. If anything, Indiana was blessed to be stuck with Lucy rather than her father. However, although Indiana hadn't seen her biological father and brothers since she was one, Lucy saw a lot of Brennan in Indiana.

Indiana was a strict believer in doing the right thing, which reminded Lucy of her brother. Lucy, on the other hand, was a strict believer in "whose fist can break whose jaw first." While Lucy saw a lot of her brother in Indiana, she saw a lot of herself in her, too. Unlike the girl's brothers (even if Lucy hadn't seen them since they were young), Indiana took on a lot of Aunt Lucy's facial features and personality traits. The only thing that Lucy and her brothers did share were their blue/blue-green eyes that could have only come from their birth mother.

As time passed by, Lucy eventually laid the freshly cooked meal after Indiana set the table. "Dig in!" Lucy exclaimed excitedly.

Indiana looked down, realizing that sitting before her was her aunt's world famous hazelnut soup and not stew. She gasped. "But I thought...! This is—?"

"This is what you asked for, isn't it?" Lucy interrupted, winking at her. Indiana grinned excitedly and thanked her before they dug in. "I'm the best Aunt ever, right?"

"Don't ruin it, Aunt Lu," Indiana said with a giggle. Lucy smiled, realizing just how much she was rubbing off on her niece.

It was a real miracle to Lucy that Indiana didn't ask about her real family. It was clearly obvious that Indiana was aware that Lucy wasn't her mother, but it didn't make sense as to why the typically curious girl never asked about it. In reality, it was more of a puzzle to Lucy than a miracle. If the roles were switched, Lucy was sure she would be just itching to know.

Suddenly bursting with curiosity, Lucy Jones finally took it upon herself to ask Indiana why she never asked about her father. Indiana wiped the corner of her mouth and innocently said, "Well, I didn't know I could ask." Before Lucy could say anything else, Indiana continued. "Besides, it doesn't matter because the Shadow Man has been telling me all about them."

Lucy looked up with a sense of alarm. "I'm sorry? The Shadow Man? Is that a friend I haven't met yet?" Lucy wondered, assuming that this was an imaginary friend. Indiana shook her head. "What has he been telling you, then?"

Indiana looked up from her food, excited to tell her aunt all about the Shadow Man. However, her smile immediately faded. "Well... the Shadow Man said I couldn't tell any adults... but I guess I can tell you because you're special," Indiana decided. "He said I have 2 brothers and 1 daddy. They're sailors! The Shadow Man hasn't really told me anything else though."

Lucy's face paled when she realized that some person was telling her niece all these things. She wasn't sure how Indiana would react when she found out her father abandoned her. "O-Oh?" Lucy muttered before forcing a smile. "How long have you known... him? Maybe you can bring him around for dinner or something."

The girl grinned excitedly. "Really? I'll be sure to tell him! He'll be so excited!" Indiana stated. "And I've known him since I was six, so that's three years!"

"Two years," Lucy corrected with a side-smile. "Remind me not to let you have a career involving mathematics."

"Like you're any better," Indiana joked.

With that, the duo continued their meal. It was somewhat less enjoyable than Lucy would have liked, for her mind seemed to be stuck on the Shadow Man. She kept telling herself that it was just an imaginary friend, but something in the back of her brain kept telling her that this Shadow Man was dangerous.

For now, Lucy would have to sit, wait, and hope for the best.