CHAPTER 18: THE FATHER AND THE LIES

A short-haired blond male in a formal suit was sitting behind his desk while muttering words to himself. In his hands is the old picture of his wife smiling at the camera while holding a spatula.

“Nana~ My Nana~ I miss you~” he said while showering the picture with kisses. He has a dreamy look in his face that he did not notice an intruder pointing a gun at him. A bullet swish pass his head making him jump and automatically draw out the gun in his drawer.

“Who’s there?!” he shouted, pointing his own gun at the shadow that appear on his doorway.

“Baka-Iemitsu…”

“Reborn?”

His gunner step out in the light revealing the Sun Arcobaleno. Half of the baby’s face was hidden by his signature fedora but the blond could easily tell he was pissed. Iemitsu kept his gun knowing he was an ally just as the same time that the hitman’s gun morph back into a chameleon.

“What do I owe this visit?”

“What do you know about your family?” the Arcobaleno asked straight. There’s no need for the unnecessary dilly-dallying. He did not came for a chat, it was obvious.

“Those what I need to know,” Iemitsu replied though curious at the odd question.

“I heard that crap before. I want to know where you get your information. It’s been years since you last visited your family so it was impossible that you gather them first hand,” Reborn continued in a dark voice. Killer intent were still spilling from him but the other ignore it, being already used to be subjected to such heavy atmosphere.

Iemitsu sighed before leaning back on his seat. It’s really been years so he had no choice but to rely on another set of eyes to watch his family.

“I hired a man to keep tab on them. He’s our neighbor and had a home-based work. I’m receiving monthly reports from him,” the blond explained while pulling out some folders and tossing it to the baby sat opposite him.

Reborn stares at the brown folders. Each of them had a month and year printed on top as a label. All of them are recent, only months before he arrived. He tentatively pick up a folder and scans the content. It had summarized the day to day activity of each person living in the Sawada Residence and only detailed on any special happening among them.

The Sun Arcobaleno also did not missed how the failures of the younger twin were detailed in each and every papers.

“So which of your neighbors?” Reborn asked wanting to confront the man himself.

“Aoyama Daichi. He’s 35, no wife or children. He’s known in the neighborhood as ‘Ao-san’.”

Back in Japan, a middle-aged man sneezed and almost spill the coffee he was stirring. He put the cup to the tray beside a glass of orange juice and strawberry shortcake before bringing it back to the living room.

“I think someone’s talking about me, Tsuna-kun,” he told the brunet typing on his laptop.

“That’s just probably some cold Ao-san,” the kid mutter back without lifting his eyes off the screen. He had an essay to finish and having really no interest on the topic, he had no problem in messing his own work. His main concern though was connecting to Shoichi. The hacker was going on and off and had not been contacting him for weeks.

“By the way, I finished this week’s report. You should compile it away,” the brunet continued then lit up at the sight of his favorite treat.

“Yeah, only another week before I would have report again. Or should I say send in your report?” the older jokily added and regret it instantly. The tapping on the keyboard ceased and Tsuna turns unusually quiet.

“I’m the bad guy, aren’t I? I’m feeding lies to my father.”

Aoyama did not reply having no word to tell him anyway. Even if Tsuna did not caught him while he was investigating about them, he would probably just send in the same reports though a little toned down. He was always cringing every time he read the report he was about to send.

He was starting to believe Tsuna was writing all of those bad things about him not just as a cover but to also degrade himself. The kid had a whirlwind of emotions and it was hard to identify which are real and which are not.

“Ah! I need to meet Gokudera-kun in an hour,” Tsuna exclaimed that startle him. Aoyama run his palm on his face. The kid’s action was as predictable as the lottery.

Reborn closed the folder and toss it back on the pile. Apparently, the CEDEF head was being stupid and decided to only rely on only one source. The man could easily be manipulated and obviously had a biased look on things.

“Tsunayoshi”

“What about Tsuna? Is he causing trouble again?” Iemitsu asked and suddenly had a very worried expression.

“He had the same right as Ietsuna on the position. Why is he not a recognized candidate?” Reborn really wanted to know. Being a boss is not just about the grade or athletic skills. Tsuna as a ‘dame’ cannot be used as a reason to rule him out. He was after all had been sent to train the next boss. Or the Vongola doesn’t believe that he can whip the ‘dame’-ness out of the kid which is nonexistent in the first place.

“He is not suitable with the Mafia. He’ll probably break on the first day he got involved. Don’t stress him out,” Iemitsu replied while staring at the framed picture on his table. Three years old Tsuna and Ietsuna were staring back at him. The twins had been holding each other’s hand while the brunet was hugging a violet bear plushie.

Reborn’s gaze landed on the pictures and he tried to compare the twin on the photo to the twin he meet. His mind seems to have a difficulty in accepting that they are the same, just older. He’d never seen the two meet eye to eye or talk civil much more hold their hands together and smile like it was the most normal thing they do.

“What’s really the problem Reborn?” Iemitsu asked after the silence turns overbearing.

The Arcobaleno had no intention to answer. Iemitsu had to figure it on his own. “Go home and see for yourself.”

♥♥♥

It’s been a week since I take an “off” writing anything else in an attempt to finish Sky’s Fury first but I haven’t finish even a chapter yet. So I’ll be back updating from time to time.

Just to clear things up about last chapter, I’m just teasing. Making Tsuna compare Hibari to a jealous boyfriend who he had need to ask permission if he will go somewhere. As I have said, there will be no pairing just innuendo and it’s up to you to treat them as romantic or platonic.

Thank you for reading.

Cielo27deVongola