1

"I promise I'm on my way home!" I said loudly into my phone. I was walking home from my waitressing job at Nando's and it was quite late. (Before anyone says anything, I've never been to Nando's so I have absolutely no idea how it works or if there even are waitresses at Nando's. But there is in this story.) It was raining, as it did often in London, which is why I had to basically shout into my phone for my best friend and roommate, Liv, to hear me. I heard her sigh. "Well hurry up! The fashion show's about to start!" She yelled before hanging up. I groaned as I put my phone in my pocket of my large coat, keeping me warm in the cold weather, switching my umbrella to my other hand. I looked at the sidewalk ahead of me, illuminated by multiple streetlights. I noticed a figure sitting on the ground, leaning against a shop that had closed hours ago. It made my heart beat quickly as a numerous amount of bad possibilities ran through my head. But, I still found myself walking forward. And when I reached the young lad who was sitting on the ground, my heart dropped. He looked awful. He had an obvious black and swollen eye and the blood pouring from his nose was being washed away with the rain every second. His lip was swollen and busted also, and he was in obvious pain. "Oh my gosh. Sir? You alright? Do I need to call an ambulance?" I asked, kneeling down beside him, not caring if I got my brand new skinny jeans wet. I held the umbrella over him and his eyes fluttered open. "Do you have someone I can call for you?" I asked once he looked at me. "They..." He started. "They took everything." He mumbled. "What happened? Who's they?" I asked, my adrenaline pumping. He sat up straighter. He didn't seem like he was in too much pain anymore. "Can I use your phone please? I can call one of my my mates." He said slowly. I looked into his soft brown eyes, and slowly nodded, getting my phone out of my pocket. I was now getting soaked and even colder as I held the umbrella over him, but I didn't care. This guy had gotten jumped or something. Maybe that's what he meant when he said they took everything. Maybe he had gotten mugged. This was a dangerous part of London and I hated having to walk home at night around here, but I had no choice. "Simon...thank God." The boy beside me said, sighing in relief. I saw that his eye that wasn't swollen shut had gone watery. It could've been the freezing rain, but I thought it was tears. "Can you just come pick me up? I'm like a half a kilometer from that Nando's on (random street name)." He said. I heard him sigh. "I can explain later. Just please!" He said, becoming louder with every word. "Simon wait-" he cut himself off and handed me my phone again. "Is he coming to get you?" I asked. "No he isn't. Stupid prick." He said, laughing to himself. His laugh relaxed me slightly, but not for long. "Well I'm not just going to leave you here." I said, scooting ever so slightly closer to him so I too could be under the umbrella, even if it was just my face. "Honestly, I'm okay. I can just walk home. It's not too far. Thank you, though. I really appreciate it." He said, beginning to stand up. "Well where do you live? I can walk with you at least." I insisted, grabbing his arm and helping him stand up. "It's a good thing you're cute because you're very persistent." He chuckled again. I felt a blush rise to my face. "But I live on the other side of town. You can't walk with me. Just go home. It's too late for you out here. I guess it's too late for me too..." He said, letting his voice trail off. It wasn't even that late. It was only about 9:30. But again, it was a dangerous part of the big city. "The other side of town? Dude, you cannot walk all the way there in this weather." I said, grabbing his shoulder. "Well I can't stay here in the street." He said, beginning to walk away. I bit my lip, letting my heart takeover before my brain could and I grabbed his wrist lightly. He turned around to look at me. "Come on. You're going back to mine and I can give you a lift home." I said, beginning to walk towards my own home. "You don't know me and I don't know you. Either one of us could very easily be a psycho." He said as he joined me under the umbrella. "Well, that's a choice I'm willing to take. I have pepper spray in my pocket though. I suggest it." I smiled at him. He laughed. "Yeah well I just might have to invest in some." He shrugged. "What happened?" I asked, referring to his banged up face. He sighed. "Well this big group of guys came around this corner here and kind of jumped me and took everything." He said, sighing. "Oh. I'm sorry." I mumbled. "Oh you have nothing to be sorry about. Without you I'd still be walking in the rain." He said. We walked in silence the rest of the way, which wasn't very far. "Liv! Don't freak out!" I yelled from the front door once I opened it and invited the guy in. "Freak out? Why would I freak out?" I heard her ask, her voice getting closer to us.

I mentally braced myself

I mentally braced myself. "Mackenzie! What have I told you about bringing people home?" She groaned. "I'm sorry but look at his face! I couldn't just leave him in the cold rain!" I yelled in response, standing in front of the guy. It did nothing because he was taller than me. She sighed in defeat, walking away. "The keys are on the island!" She yelled. I smiled, grabbing the boy's wrist and leading him to the kitchen. Once in there, I grabbed the first aid kit and filled a bowl full of hot water. "So this isn't the first time you've brought a random person home?" He asked. I shrugged. "The only other time was a really old woman who had a flat tire and needed a phone and my cell had died so I walked with her here." I shrugged. He laughed again as I began cleaning the blood off of his face. "You really don't have to be doing this." He said. "I know." I smiled. "Thank you." He said. "Well I'm not exactly the type of person to just leave someone when they're in need." I said quietly. "I never got your name." I added once I finished cleaning him the best I could. "Olajide. Jide. JJ. Arsehole. Whatever you want." He smiled. "Olajide. I like it."

A/N
Updates may start out a little unorganized because I've been busy with school but I'll try. Thank you all so so so much for the support. I love you all. <3