Chapter 1

Carl P.O.V
It's weird having all this stuff after you've been out there for so long. Proper beds, food, and clothes. But I know I have to stay here. It's a home for Judith.. she deserves a home.

I've come to terms with the fact that everyone I once knew is probably dead. The idea of death... it used to scare me. When I was a child I remember having this talk with my mother about death. I must've been about four or five. She told me they're watching over me up in heaven.

     But that's all bullshit.

     Sometimes I just want to give up. I get this selfish feeling inside me, sitting by myself at night once Judith is sleeping peacefully. A feeling to just pull out my gun and place it against my head. Then I'd look at the precious angel sleeping next to me and think about how far she's come. She was born in this world and that's wasn't her fault. I couldn't just leave her like that.

Aaron came across me as I was walking in a town nearby, scavenging for food and clothing. It seems that all Judith does is grow, and I'm always looking for food to feed her and clothes that fit her. Naturally, he scared the fuck out of me. Saying he'd been watching me for a few days and left me some baby food. My mom always told me don't talk to strangers.

     But, this worlds a bit different from when she said that. Sometimes I have no other choice but to talk to strangers. When they're your only hope in finding a home. A constant home

Deanna welcomed me. It was such a new feeling to see children playing and to have a whole house to ourselves, even someone that volunteered to watch Judith in case I wanted to do something that normal sixteen year olds do. I denied, because I've been with her this long. I don't know who to trust. Trust doesn't come easily anymore.

I'm currently walking through town, with Judith in a stroller that Deanna gave me. My eyes trail throughout the town and my hands shake anxiously. It's the first time I haven't had a gun on me since the prison. When I first got here, Deanna took my weapons. But much to my surprise, she handed them back over when I asked.

"Hey!" A hand lands on my shoulder suddenly and my hand immediately go to where my gun normally is. There's nothing there and I place my hands back on the stroller to keep them from balling into fists.

The guy that grabbed my shoulder ended up being a brown haired guy wearing a black hat, and he looked to be about my age. He holds out his hand to me. "I'm Ron. You're the new guy right?"

     I stare at his hand for a second before reaching out and hesitantly shaking it. Proper introductions aren't really something that happens often nowadays."Carl," I reply.

    "Cool, you want to go play some video games?" I gape at him for a second. The fact this guy can be so nonchalant about video games is shocking to me. For someone that's been out there for so long he doesn't even know his own age.

    "Yeah, sure."

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

                        Enid P.O.V
    "Guys, this is Carl," I glance up from my comic book to see Ron standing in the doorway, and beside him is a boy who I'm guessing is Carl.

     He's got long brown hair, that looks healthier than man. And piercing blue orbs that dart around the bedroom curiously. He's hot. I quickly look back down at the comic book I have in my hands before his orbs dart over to wear I'm seated.