Can't Love A Werewolf Without Getting Fleas [15]

“Leslie! Violet!” I shouted across the parking lot, and they looked up soon after.

I smiled warmly at them, as I made my way over, or well in my case—hobbled my way over.

Colton had seemed to of opened up and become a little friendlier. Almost humane. But let’s not go that far.He shot up out of his seat as soon as the bell rang, just like the first day I met him, and didn’t mouth a word of goodbye to me.

But honestly, I didn’t know why I expected him too. He was probably just trying to cope with the fact that he had saved my life, when really…. He probably regretted it.

I don’t know why I’m leading myself to believe he could be a good guy for once. Good guys don’t exist.

“Hey, whatsup?” Violet greeted, as she stuffed her things in the trunk of the car.

“OMIGOSH! Your leg is not bloody anymore!” Leslie cheered, bending down to examine it.

She then proceeded to poke… why? I have no idea.

“It’s not going to fall of you know.” I told her, as she poked it gently.

“I know. I just wanted to make sure it wasn’t holographic or plastic. For all we know, you may have needed amputation.”

“Ha. Ha. Funny. No, but I do need someone to drive me to the doctor’s office. Is that ok?”

“Sure thing. Hop in my baby, Less and I will take ya over.” Violet told me, swinging her keys around her finger.

*

It was astounding to me, how little of this place I had really seen, as we drove by shopping centers and malls and restaurants.

Boutiques, salons, carnivals and more! It was weird for me to see everything all spaced out like this. I’m use to them all being squished together on one big city street.

“So…how weird of it was Colton to just dive in and save you?” Violet smirked in the rear view mirror. I blushed just a tad…

ONLY A TAD! GEESH!

“YEAH!” Leslie asked turning around in her seat at the passenger’s side to look at me. I always felt like the little kid… riding in the back.

“I’m thankful, that’s for sure.” I told them, trying not to go in depth with the subject.

“Seriously though, Violet, Brian and I were all about to go jump in and save you. We were already running down the poolside when Colton just dove in after you.”

Violet started cracking up for no reason. “You should have seen the look on the bimbo’s face he was talking to. It was like ‘Did you really just ditch me to go for a swim’. IT WAS HILARIOUS!!”

Leslie nodded in between laughs as well, and I couldn’t help but chuckle a little. It relieved me to know I wasn’t the only one who didn’t like her.

“Yeah, it was nice of him to save me and all, but I can’t say I’d do it again.” They both laughed at this.

“We don’t blame you.”

Silence.

“So…. How’d the walk over to the nurses office go?” Leslie wiggled her eyebrows.

I busted out laughing then and then proceeded to tell them everything.

“He definitely cares for you, Shaylee.” Violet said… her tone almost serious. What a joke!

“Uh huh…” I slurred, watching the cars go by on the other side of the tinted window.

“Seriously. He never goes to that much trouble unless he likes you, or cares for you.”

“I hope you guys aren’t insinuating he likes me more than a friend, because I know for certain that if any of you had fallen in, he would have dove in after you as well.”

They contemplated this for a second. “Yes, he would have. But at least that’s progress right?”

“Yeah. I appreciate that he doesn’t treat me like the scum off his shoe anymore.”

They gave me an odd look, and a laugh before we pulled into a parking lot of a light shade blue building.

*

The doctor’s was boring. I told him I couldn’t watch the sight of him sewing my skin back together, so I just counted the little stars on the ceiling till he was done.

19.

I thanked them, and made sure to tell them which insurance company we belonged to, and paid the ten-dollar fee before joining my two partners in crime back in the waiting room.

“How’d it go?” Leslie asked me as her and Violet put down two magazines that were currently their point of interest.

“I don’t know. I didn’t really watch, I just counted little glow-in-the-dark stars on the ceiling.”

“DUDE! I DO THAT EVERYTIME I COME HERE!” Violet gushed as we walked out, and got back into the car.

“Awesome. I’m glad I’m not the only one with a short attention span.” I laughed breathily, as Leslie chuckled and Violet pouted.

*

“THANKS GUYS!!” I yelled out of the threshold of my front door.

I could hear Violet’s car speed off down the road, roaring all sorts of rock’n roll music.

I walked in lazily, my leg aching only a tad to the newfound stitches. The doctor instructed me that I shouldn’t run for a while, which meant no fun at track practice.

All I could do was cross my dang fingers and hope that I might possibly recover faster than normal protocol… even though that’s impossible.

But my fingers are crossed!

It wasn’t until I went to sit down and watch TV on the couch, that I realized the house was awfully quiet.

CRAP ON MOTHER TERESA!!!

I had to go pick up Lucy!

As quick as I could, I ran out of the house and into the garage. I was in that car and out of the driveway in less than 30 seconds.

Lucy was going to kill me.

*

I pulled into the elementary school parking lot. Feeling almost deja vu as I stepped out of the car.

I went to school here… I was pretty sure of it.

I opened the doors, and the smell of cafeteria food hit me stronger than my own adolescent highschool.

Little pieces of artwork, or something more of a bunch of different shapes and colored markers attacked a sheet of paper, were spread out along the hall.

I didn’t really know where I was to be going, but as I passed one of the glass cases, a certain picture caught my eye.

It was of a little boy with brown hair and soft, smiling brown eyes, with his arm tightly around a girls shoulders. She looked oddly familiar.

Long wavy brown hair, bright green eyes. The way the corner of her mouth creased when she smiled.

Was that… me?

I read the plaque underneath.

COLTON SPARKS AND SHAYLEE TURNER TAKE FIRST AND SECOND PLACE AT STATE TRACK MEET.

I gasped.

The sound rang echoes throughout the calm, quiet hallway.

“Shaylee?”

My head snapped in the direction. I haven’t been here since a little girl, it seems. So how did anyone remember me?

But my eyes got big at the sight of dark black hair, skinny jeans and converses.

“Colton?”