rain

.
The rain makes Taehyung remember...
.

The coffee burns my aching throat as I take another sip of the black liquid, my mind on anything but the pain in my mouth. I stare out my window, the only source of light coming from the beaming streetlamp that filtered through dingy glass and shone on my face, casting long shadows on my profile.

Sounds of rain can be heard all throughout my apartment, the pounding of the drops on a leaky ceiling being my only company. Sleep is out of the question at this point, the caffeinated drink running through my veins only further proving that fact.

Not that coffee was the only reason I couldn't rest.

My mind is empty except for the sound of rain. My heartbeat matches the steady rhythm of the drops hitting the pavement and my eyes follow the torrent as if it were my only anchor to my sanity. Memories rush by my eyes and I struggle to stay breathing as your face invades my mind.

It's always when it rains.

---

I bet I look so stupid right now.

I stare at the map in my hands, the edges frayed from my shaky hold, and try to pinpoint my location in a city of millions. The thought to ask for directions crosses my mind, but my stubborn ways refuse the thought and I carry on stumbling about in blind foolishness in the concrete jungle of New York.

I pass many shops, looking for any sign of hospitality at such a late hour in the night. My eyes are bombarded with neon lights and provocative media that surround me and I keep my head low to the distractions. A drop hits the concrete and I pause, tilting my head to the side before one drop becomes thousands and I take off in a run in search of shelter. My sight finds the sign of a coffee shop and I fling myself through rusted doors into a quiet chaos.

Soft jazz can be heard from old speakers and people sit around, snapping their fingers and conversing in such a way that left me feeling alienated as I stood in drenched clothing with little money. I see a bar to the left, dim lighting and wooden stools adding to the city effect and I approach before sitting and laying my head on the counter, the cool surface calming me.

A voice has me sitting up, coming face to face with a cold stare. A man's eyes met with mine in such an icy way, but I didn't sway and smiled, seeing a flicker of emotion in his face as I did so.

"You can't just sleep here. You have to buy something." His voice is flat, a dull drone amongst lively chatter.

I glance at the list of drinks and decide on water, knowing I have no place to go if I get intoxicated.

"How much for a glass of water?"

"3.50 cash only." I snort.

"A little expensive don't you think?"

"How about a deal then? I'll give it to you, on the house, on exchange for your number." He smirks and I return the gesture before nodding.

"You've got yourself a deal."

---

I glance at my phone and a million emotions play through me. Grabbing it I go to my voicemail before hitting a button and placing the cold metal and glass to my ear.

"Taehyung I'm sorry I'm running a little late. Please don't be mad. I would never forget our anniversary in a thousand years. Work was really tight today and I had to finish this deal. I'll see you at the restaurant in ten minutes. I love you." The phone goes dead just as a tear breaks free, falling as effortlessly as a snowflake.

---

Don't be nervous. It's just a date with a really hot guy that's way out of your league and will probably realize what a bad decision it was to get your number as soon as he realizes how much of a loser you are.