Chapter 2

"Daniel, I love you, but you don't just take me out because you want to. You take me out because you want something." I say.

My white sundress is billowing in the wind as we walk the beach.

He took me to a nice dinner and now we're walking the beach.

The kid are being babysat.

"If I didn't know any better, I'd think you were proposing, but, you know," I hold up my left hand. He smiles.

"I..." he sighs. "I'm not...I'm really not that happy." He stops walking.

I frown, looking at him.

"You're not happy?" I repeat.

"I mean, I am, but...I'm not at the same time."

I frown.

"Okay?"

"I work and come home. That's it."

"Okay, so...I mean, what do you want to do?"

"I want to go out and do things! I want sunlight. I want beaches. I want the sun in your hair. I want hills."

"You miss home." I whisper.

"I miss home." He whispers.

Honestly, I kind of miss California also.

It was always sunny. If my car broke down, I could find somebody to let me borrow their phone.

It was beautiful, shops lining the streets, beaches, the golden gate bridge.

"California is expensive." I whisper.

"I know, but we'd open other stores, you know? And we'd get more money out of them because they're in such busy places. We could do it."

"This is something I need to think about."

"Aubrey." He says. "If you don't want to leave Savannah, we're not leaving Savannah."

I nod. "Alright. Daniel, you know what upsets me?"

He raises his eyebrows.

"The only way you show me you love me aside from showing it with your actions is when you take me out, and even then it's iffy because you only take me out to get something you want. Then again, I don't really show you, but that's because you're hard to shop for. Obviously you love me, and I know you do, but still."

"Sweetheart, you told me never to buy you flowers and-" he cuts off. "Wow, I feel like a dick."

<><>

I'm looking on Google Earth at San Francisco, and doing research.

It's expensive.

I zoom out.

My eyes land on Walter Creek, a town outside of San Francisco.

"Aubrey..." Daniel hesitate. "I want you to know that I do love you. I don't want to buy you something just because you said something."

"Daniel, what about Walter Creek? It's right outside of San Francisco, the cost of living is significantly lower and I found a three bedroom, two bathroom house that is actually really pretty. Plus, it has a hot tub."

It's late and we're in bed.

Slowly, he sighs.

"I don't want you to think I don't appreciate you. I feel horrible. I don't want you to move across the country because I want to. If you want to stay, we can stay. I want you to be happy. I don't want you to think I don't appreciate you, but now I feel like if I get you something, it's going to be because you told me to."

"Daniel..." I trail off, trying to find the correct words. "I just think we don't go out much. I feel like..." I search wildly for words, shutting the lid to the laptop, I put it on the side table. "I feel like we don't get enough time for us, and I know it's because we have kids, and I wouldn't trade our life for anything, but I feel like the only time we get a chance to appreciate each other is when we're cuddling or having sex."

"I feel the same way. I want to buy you things."

"I don't care about materialistic things." I whisper. "I care about love."

"I'm going to get you something." He says. "I've been trying to find something for a while. It's happening."

I sigh slowly.

"Alright. Now back to California, what about Walter Creek?"

He sighs, thinking.

"I suppose that could work."

If I'm being honest, I feel like I'm losing my grip with this story. I'm super stressed and I'm slightly bored with this. Normally the words come easily but I have no idea what to write. I'm bored. I might end this story soon and start another series, but I'm not entirely sure.

I'm sorry this is so short.

~Sam

YmJFK,;U