Chapter Thirty Four (Edited 7/14/2021)

7/14/2021- Hey...how y'all doin? I know, I know. I was gone for a LONG time. Thank you so much to those of you that patiently waited for me and were so understanding. Having you all check in on me just to make sure I was alright meant a lot. As for those of you who were...well, a little less patient, I still appreciate that you love the story so much that you were that eager to read more. So, here it is. Enjoy the update! You all deserve it!

Silently Falling: Chapter Thirty Four

Within seconds, Alyse grabs my wrist and practically drags me to the living room. I have to jog just to keep up, barely avoiding a blow to my hip from running into the counter. I find some sort of athleticism and dodge the wall as she whips me around the corner, having to jog just to keep up with her pace. I hear West chuckling behind us before he retreats upstairs and leaves us to catch up.

Alyse nearly jumps onto the couch, me ungraciously falling into the cushions, and I meet her eager eyes and giddy smile mirroring my own features.

"You go first!" We shout at the same time before erupting into childish giggles.

"That is so weird!" She squeals, "I mean, in a good way of course, but your voice is so weird!"

My giddy smile falls, causing her eyes to widen as she swiftly shakes her head.

"No! Wait! Not weird, your voice is great! It's just so weird to hear it again."

"Trust me, it's weird to use it again."

"Does it hurt at all?"

I swallow down the slight grittiness that seems to have made a home in the back of my throat and shrug.

"It did. It does. But my dad found a lot of different homemade remedies that have really helped. Enough about that, though." I add as I eye the dark maroon sweatshirt she's wearing. "You and Toby? Has it finally happened?"

I've known for forever the way Toby feels about her, even if he refused to admit it. It's about time I hear about the ship I've been rooting for since day one. Within the second, Alyse's cheeks flush red and she tries to hide inside of Toby's sweatshirt that is a few sizes too large for her petite body. 

"Oh come on, don't get shy now," I tease, pulling at one of the sleeves that extends well past her hands. "This is the same sweatshirt you came downstairs wearing yesterday, only this time it isn't paired with a pair of Toby's sweatpants."

However, I suddenly flinch as the context clues present a rather obvious conclusion and I let the sleeve go. 

"Did you two...you know?"

Alyse pulls the sweatshirt down to show her whole face, her answer instantaneous. "No. He really did just offer me his clothes to sleep in and I did stay in his bed. But to do that after what happened to you at the party...it wasn't even a thought, Raine." 

"Besides," she adds, bumping my shoulder with a little smile, "Do you really think I would give myself to him, just like that?"

I laugh and reach forward, pulling at the strings so that the sweatshirt closes partially around her face. "With how long you've been waiting for him to come to his senses, I wouldn't be shocked."

Alyse pokes her head through with a gasp, holding back a laugh. "I'm not that easy! We only talked."

I raise a brow, clearly unconvinced.

"Okay! And we kissed, but that's it! He was a crying mess and I was a shoulder to lean on!"

"That's very romantic, Alyse."