chapter one

Okey, so first chapter yeey!

I've wanted to write a JB fanfiction for a long time but I couldn't come up with a good story, but now I think I got one...

•••••••••••••••

I've been in this class for a year and a half now, just like everybody else. It's not a very big high school and everybody kinda know each other, or at least everybody know each other's names. I'm not like one of the popular neither am I a geek or an outsider. I just exist and I'm cool with it. I have my best friends; Claire and Beverly and that's all I'm asking for. We've known each other for a year, we got to know one another at the beginning of the semester of first year in high school. Since then we've been inseparable.

Today's not just any day. Today's my birthday. 17 isn't a big deal but my mom still grabs my cheek and makes a sad face while saying "where did my little girl go?". I don't dare thinking how she'll act on my 18th birthday.
The benefits of being born in the beginning of December is that you get a lot of gifts. My mom always gives me and my younger brother gifts now and then in December, not just on Christmas Eve. But since it's my birthday I get more than Drew. My dad past away years ago. I don't even remember him that much. Drew was 4 and I were 10. He was too small to understand where his daddy went, so I had to tell him that dad was in a better place and that he was thinking of us everyday and watching over us. When he grew older he stopped asking and now we never talk about him at all. But there isn't a day passing where I don't think of him.

"Quinn! Even if it's your day today the school doesn't wait for you, you know that right? I have to go, hopefully I'll see you at dinner." My mom yells from downstairs and I crawl out off my bed. Mom works hard for our family. She's never home since she works three jobs so we kinda never meet. But on weekends she always takes the days off to spend time with us. So that's nice, we keep it up together. She works really hard to afford the house and to take care of us. As soon as I'm 18 I'll find a job and help her out.

I get dressed and throw the backpack over my shoulder as I run down the stairs.

"Morning Drew." I say when I pass my 11 year old brother, sitting by the table.

"Morning." He answers and I open the fridge.

"Why don't we have anything to eat?" I ask and stare at the inside of the fridge.

"There's plenty of food in there. You just have to open your eyes, stupid. By the way, happy birthday!" He says and I give him an sarcastic smile.

I close the fridge, without anything in my hands to eat and go directly to the hallway.

"Hey aren't you gonna eat something?" Drew asks and I put on my shoes.

"No, I'm not hungry anyway." I answer him as I put my jacket on. "See ya later."

It's pretty cold outside and as I breathe out my breath turns into a small cloud. I start to walk to school. It's not that far, so I don't bother taking the bus or the car. We do only have one car, and most of the time my mom takes it so that's barely an opportunity.

~

I unlock the locker and start taking of my jacket. As I put it in the locker Claire come up to me and gives me a huge hug.

"Happy birthday girl!" She says in an high pitched voice and I smile at her as we pull away from each other. Her short blonde hair is a bit wavy and the freckles on her nose are faded. In the summer they're a lot more visible and she looks really cute with them.

"Thanks Clay, but could you keep it down? I don't want the whole school to know." I whisper and she smiles at me.

"Of course! Anything for you, since it's your day. But don't think I'll do just anything, because I have my limits you know." She says and I laugh.

"Yeah of course."

"Quinie it's your daaay!!" I hear my other best friend say from down the hallway. Or rather scream.

"Jesus, Bev! Keep it down, will ya?" I say as I turn around with big eyes.

"Oh, I'm sorry!" Beverly says as she hugs me.

"So, seventeen huh? Only one year left." Claire says and point one finger in the air. I moan as I slam the locker shut.

"Don't remind me." I say and we start walking to class.

First period is English, the easiest subject of you ask me. But some disagree. Our class is divided in four different groups. The first group is me, Beverly and Claire. We are like the normal ones; no one picks at us and no one gives us more attention than necessary.
Then there's the geeks. They're five; three girls and two boys. The third group consists of four girls; you could call them the plastics I guess, but that's just a statement from Mean Girls. But you get the point.
And the fourth group; the popular ones. They're about seven. Four boys and three girls. They're nice, they don't see themselves as popular and I like that about them. Unlike "the plastics". They think everybody's after them and only look up to them. They're annoying everybody and everything, but the thing is that they don't get that. They keep irritating people, normal people. People like me.

When first period is over we have a 10 minutes break before next class. I'm not a fan of maths, but my mom always says I'm good at it and everybody asks me for help if they need so I guess I'm kinda good. Last year I got a B, but this year's tougher so I'm happy if I can make it to a C.

"How did you not notice how he was staring at you the whole time?" Beverly says to me as we walk down the hallway. She puts a strand of dark brown hair behind her ear and looks at me with her big brown eyes.

"Yeah, it's so obvious." Claire agrees and I just shake my head. When we started here we instantly laid our eyes on this boy in the popular group. We thought he was so good looking, or Beverly and Claire thought so. I don't know, I though he looked good but they always overstate everything. But now that fire has kinda burned out and we don't look at him that often. He's still good looking though in my opinion.

"Oh come on. Why would Jonathan Brandis be interested in me, just like that? It's not like I've changed in two days. He can't be interested in me, he's never even spoken to me." I defend myself. Claire looks at me with that look saying "gurl, you serious?".

"What?"

"You know, it all starts with a glance. I bet my ass he will start talking to you soon." She says and I raise my eyebrows.

"I hope you're wrong, because I love your ass." I say and Beverly starts to laugh and Claire just smiles sarcastically with her green eyes squinting at me. I love these girls more than anything. They truly are my best friends.