October 11th

We’re finally back at school. I was beginning to think we’d be off until Halloween. I wonder if the cops ever found the people responsible for the attack? Cause there had to be more than just the one guy.

            As soon as the lunch bell rang, Leah grabbed Kevin’s arm and dragged him through the student sea to one of the deserted alcoves in the basement. With her own lunch, held tightly in one hand, she pulled him down so he was sitting across from her. She fixed him with a hard stare, putting one hand on each knee as she leant forward. “Explain what being partners means. Everything about it or at the very least, the parts that cause changes in me. J came over and my body knew where you were while I didn’t. That was not a fun surprise.”

            He blinked. “I had not realized that such changes would be a surprise.”

            “You hadn’t-?” Leah felt her pulse begin to hammer and took a few deep breaths to calm herself. “You know I don’t know much about dragons so it should be obvious that I’m not going to know about any changes being partners would cause.”

            Kevin stared for a moment then nodded. “You are correct. It was a mistake on my part. What would you like to know?”

            “What else is different about me now? Am I going to sprout wings or something?”

            He frowned. “No. I do not know why you would think that. You are my partner. You will know my whereabouts as I will know yours. When in sight of one another, I do not require physical contact to share my thoughts with you.”

            Leah rubbed her nose then froze. “Wait, does that mean you can read my mind?”

            He shook his head. “No. I only receive the thoughts your direct to me. They must be strong and require conscious thought to push through.”

            She settled back down. “Okay then. Is that it?”

            “You will have a slight increase in your immunity against water magics since my power has bound us together. If you were dreigun there may have been pressure from both of our clans for us to become mates. However, since you are human, that is not a consideration.”

            Leah choked. “Mates? Is that what normally happens to partners?”

            Kevin tapped his knee. “It happens with fair regularity. Partners must be compatible or the partnership will fail. Such compatibility combined with frequent interaction often leads to mating. It is natural. As I have said, it is not something we need to concern ourselves with.”

            She nodded. “And that’s everything then?”

            “I believe there are further changes that may occur since you are human. I estimate an increase in your sensitivity to magic, most especially with regards to mine. Were you dreigun, you would feel my spell casting. I am not certain what will happen with you. I do not believe there have been many, if any, cross-species partnerships prior to ours. At the least, I have not heard of any.”

            She sighed. “So you don’t exactly know what’s going to happen to me then? Well that’s reassuring.”

            He blinked. “I do not believe it should be very reassuring to you. You have my apologies. If I knew more of how our partnership will affect you, I would tell you. Since we are here, I will not burden you with the social changes that come with being partners.”

            Leah shook her head. “What do you mean social changes? Like people expecting you to mate whoever you partner to?”

            Kevin nodded. “Partnerships are sometimes treated as alliances. You are the female, and I as an unmated male, would be nominally a member of your clan though formally I would remain a member of the Anguis clan. Should my mate not be my partner, I would have full membership to my mate’s clan and a partial one to my partner’s clan. Such arrangements are rare, but they are not unheard of.”

          She frowned. “So being your partner means people recognize me as…what exactly?”

            “You are female, though human. Were you dreigun you would almost certainly be leading our partnership. I am not certain how others will perceive you since you are human. You have the strength to lead but not the magic. Your combat skills are considerable but I have never heard of a pair where both were not capable of some kind of magic,” he replied, his finger tapping his knee again.

            She sighed. “So basically we’re the weirdo set even among dragons. That’s great. At least we’re used to being the freaks. I suppose it doesn’t really matter since we are here and we’re only partners until you leave. Anything else you think I should know?”

            He shook his head. “I would like to resume the search for SArad today.”

            Leah nodded. “No problem. We have kind of have gotten distracted, haven’t we? Then again, people trying to kill you generally has that effect. You still have that list?”

            He blinked. “Yes. Shall we start after school has finished?”

            “Yeah. As long as Sam doesn’t come by with questions. Now, I’m hungry so I’m going to eat my lunch. You want anything?” She asked as she opened the brown paper bag.

            Kevin shook his head. “No. I ate last week.”