1 - Red/Blue

1 - Red/Blue

Trigger warning: child abuse, alcohol abuse

If Lance had to describe Keith in one word, he'd say red. He wouldn't say red because Keith wears red a lot, or because red is Keith's favorite color. It is more complicated than that. MUCH more complicated

Keith is a survivor. As a child he was frequently hit by his mother, who was an alcoholic. A violent alcoholic that would hit anything within eyesight. Although she typically just used the back of her hand, one day she took advantage. She took advantage of the knife lying on the kitchen counter... The knife that a ten year old Keith had attempted to use to make his own dinner. If he didn't make it, no one would.

Even though her movements were sloppy, even though they lacked strength, they did damage. Keith got cut. His once white shirt turned red as blood speed from his wounds.

Even after he was cared for at the hospital... Even when he was put into foster care, he continued to be red. Although he didn't get cuts, he still was red. He was red because he cried. He cried every night. Why did Mommy hurt me? Does she hate me? Does anyone else hate me?

Throughout his teenage years, Keith no longer cried. He became numb. In the end, he couldn't stop the searing hot flames of hatred from consuming him in his last year of high school. Unable to stand the numbness he felt in order to survive high school, he dropped out of school.

He dropped out of school, but didn't quit. Instead he searched for jobs anywhere and everywhere. He vowed to support himself. He would make a life for himself, somehow. He would make sure that he never ended up like his mother.

----

If Keith had to describe Lance in one word he would say blue.He wouldn't say blue because Lance wears blue a lot, or because blue is Lance's favorite color. It is more complicated than that. MUCH more complicated.

Lance struggled to fit in as a child. Moving to the United States from Mexico, he experienced many new and strange things... New and strange things he struggled to understand. In turn, those strange things (or rather people) struggled to understand him. Over time Lance learned to adapt... To change ever so slightly without losing himself.

Such a changed took years for him to perfect. At first he wasn't willing to change. He was stubborn and rude to many of his peers. For a while his peers hated him. Then he changed too much. Upon hearing the slightest whisper of disapproval he would change... Even if it meant losing himself and his heritage in the process. It wasn't until his last year of high school that he noticed his mistakes. Until he noticed his mistakes and tried to fix them.

In the hopes of lessening his future college debt, Lance searched for a job.

He ended up working at McDonalds.

Lance met Keith at McDonalds.

Keith met Lance at McDonalds.

At first, they were quick to judge each other... Quick to make snide remarks, and not give the other a chance to show his true, complicated self.

------

Together they are purple. With their strengths and weaknesses combined, they can do more than survive. They can help themselves, they can help each other. They can love. They can live.

Red.

Blue.

Purple.

Keith and Lance love the colors red, blue, and purple.

Keith and Lance are red, blue, and purple.