Chapter 18 New meaning to March madness

Start from the beginning

 Max always checks in knowing I have this quirk about wanting to make sure he is safe and happy every day, he calls me overprotective in a tender teasing way, I know deep down he understands what my reasons are so he accepts it at face value. The work day passed calmly as  I ordered in lunch and now five pm  I filed everything away before grabbing my briefcase and bag. Tony saying good night as Sam and I walked down the hallway  getting on the elevator. Sam and Anna  had plans to see her parents this weekend, Megan coming by to spend a day with Max, I have no clue or plans for this weekend, only to relax and enjoy the simple things in life. Max and I have a date for dinner  and a movie out at seven, Nolan will be by after his shift so after getting home Max and I sat at the kitchen counter catching up on our past week. At six we both went to changed for our date, I showered and put on a light blue tie knot shirt with light faded jeans, gray mid calf boots, letting my hair fall naturally. Picking up my brown leather blazer adding my badge and weapon to the inside pocket along with my wallet. Max had already made sure Jett had food and water, he will stay in Max's jeep while we are in the movies, Max had the hard top on his jeep since it's still  early spring with cooler days.  Max and Nolan picked him out a black Rubicon that had the hard and soft top with all the accessories, Nolan helped Max add a  police scanner inside as a side present. Max  made all our plans tonight, the restaurant and what movie,I'm good with the plans because I knew he wanted to show  me how much he has grown and matured over the past  three months. I never question his maturity seeing he had a tough life early on, but very happy he cares enough to do what's right, never giving me a reason to ever doubt his common sense or  future decisions in his life.

Max pulled up in front of Musso & Frank's Grill on Hollywood Blvd which is close to the Egyptian Theatre smiling as I nodded. Max stating “ I realize that until I get a job this summer mom, it's your money but I want to be the one who pays for this whole night.” I smiled “ It's okay Max you don't need a job and I do understand this whole appearance thing, you guys have to keep face in public.” He sighed “ I am getting a job, yes I have that trust thing from the tobacco estate selling  and yes I know you would take care of all my needs forever, but please Alexia understand why.” I exhaled turning seeing determination in Max's eyes softly replying “  I do Max, fine I get it, you find this job you wantand earn your own money, so now can we go eat because I'm starving.” Max smiled with a nod as he got out of the jeep coming around holding my door open, I told Jett to stay as Max closed the door locking it and took my hand gently leading us to the front door. As we were shown to a table Max said hi to a few of his high school friends who are also out  tonight and then he sat across from me as we sat at a nice  booth by  the window. Max had called in advance for reservations for us because this place gets busy on a Friday night, which was very apparent when I looked around the restaurant. Only  a small few know I'm Max's guardian, his mom, so when  a couple other high school guys Max knew stopped by they made a few remarks casually teasing Max about me  being with him not Zoey, Max laughing as they hit on me and  their reactions when he told them I am his mom. Dinner was excellent and I allowed Max his pride as he picked up the tab paying for it  with a nice tip for the waiter before we walked back out to his Jeep, next stop on our “date” the movies at the Egyptian.

 I smiled  of course it seemed every teen in LA was at the theatre  on a Friday night, Max bumping me “ Yea things don't change much generation to generation mom, so let's get our snacks and grab the best seats.” I chuckled “ Sounds about right, please get me a small popcorn and drink while I get the seats.” Max  nodded before I added “ Oh and a box of gummy worms too please.” as Max chuckled getting in the concession stand line.  I went into the theater that our movie was in and found good seats in the middle, Max strolled in a few minutes later. Some girls watching him  flirting at him while he passed them, as I bit my lips laughing inside at how he  just shrugs it off shaking his head at me smirking while handing me my drink, candy and popcorn. Max  started talking to a few kids around us during the previews, I just listened to their normal gossip and chatter, who's doing who,  realizing  guys are just as bad with gossip as all girls in high school. Max had picked “ Die Hard” with Bruce Willis for our movie and I told  him I'm  an action movie fan also,  so when the movie started everyone quieted down as the beginning credits  rolled. When the lights came up when the movie was over, Max and I both stood up walking out of the theater laughing and talking with a small group that sat behind us.  Max shook their hands, I nodded saying bye to them as they all told me I seemed like a “ cooler” mom then their own making me smirk  while Max snorted under his breath.