Extras

Hello! These are just some little facts about the book that you may not know! I thought it might be cool to make a list, so enjoy!

I named the main character "Ariette" because it's a musical term, coming from the word aria.

• The setting for the beach house was originally in New Hampshire, but I later changed it to Maine.

• The story was originally going to have Ariette's mother in it, as a spirit. Let's all thank God I scrapped that idea.

• I named Ariette's father Paul because Paul was my father's middle name.

• Ariette's middle name is Grace.

• The inspiration for Elliot's character (in physical appearance) was Blake Steven.

• Inspiration for this story came from the piano scene in Tim Burton's The Corpse Bride, when Victor plays the piano by himself in the beginning. I don't know why this scene stuck with me, but it inspired the pianist aspect of the main character.

• Elliot's middle name is Charles.

• Ariette has selective mutism and anxiety.

• I chose March 26th for Ariette's birthday because it's the day that Ludwig Van Beethoven died.

• I wanted to give my main character a parental death, because I recently had one of my own, and I wanted to express somewhat what it felt like losing a parent.

• The Victorian beach house was originally going to have secret rooms and doors, but I changed my mind later.

• I made Crystal's character with the intention of her being a typical annoying stepmother, but I later decided to make her into more of a lesson on how not all stepmothers are bad, like in movies and books.

• I never picked a real person to represent Ariette, because I couldn't find ANYONE who looked like how I imagined her. (So, just let your imagination run wild, lol.)

• Ariette has green eyes.

• Ariette's mother was given the name "Marnie" because I drew her character inspiration from Marnie in the Studio Ghibli movie, When Marnie Was There.

• Elliot is a very picky eater, and Ariette will eat pretty much anything.

• Just between us... I imagine that Elliot and Ari grow up and get married, (Obviously) and have two children, a boy and a girl. :)