...

"Theresa," a hand grasps my shoulder and shakes me, "Theresa, wake up."

"I'm up," I groan and wriggle out of my mother's grip. "What time is it?"

"Seven in the evening. I was going to wake you up earlier," she purses her lips. I know it must have been driving her insane to let me sleep the day away on her couch. Oddly, the thought amuses me.

"Sorry, I don't even remember falling asleep." I stretch my arms and stand to my feet. "Did Noah leave?" I peer into the kitchen and I don't see him.

"Yes, Mrs. Porter really wanted to see you but I told her it wasn't a good time."

"Thank you," I do wish I would have had a proper goodbye with Noah but I know that I will eventually see him again, the same with Landon. I will see Landon much sooner than Noah.

"Hardin brought your car, I see." I can hear the disapproval in her voice as she turns from the stove to hand me a plate covered in lettuce and grilled tomatoes.

I haven't missed her idea of a good meal.

"Why didn't you tell me that he was here? I remember it now."

"He asked me not to."

"Since when do you care what he wants?" I urge, nervous of her reaction..

"I don't. I didn't mention it because it is in your best interest not to remember."

My fork slips from my fingers and onto the plate with a sharp clink. "Keeping things from me isn't in my best interest." I am doing my best to keep my voice cool and calm. I dab the corners of my mouth with a perfectly folded napkin.

"Theresa, do not take your frustrations out on me. Whatever that man has done to you that made you this way, is your own fault. Not mine."

The moment her red lips pull into a confident smirk I stand from the table and toss my napkin onto the plate before walking out of the room.

"Where are you going young lady?" She calls to me.

"I'm going to bed. I have to get up at four in the morning to shower and get on the road. I have a long drive ahead of me." I yell back and close the door.

The light grey walls seem to be closing in on me as I sit on my childhood bed. I hate this house, I shouldn't, but I do. I hate the way I feel like I can't breathe without being scolded or corrected. I never realized how caged and controlled I have been my entire life until I had my first taste of freedom with Hardin. I love having pizza for dinner, spending the entire day naked in bed with him. No folded napkins, no curled hair, no hideous yellow curtains.

Before I can stop myself, I'm calling him and he's answering on the second ring.

"Tess?" He's out of breath.

"Uhm, hey." I whisper.

"What's wrong?" He huffs, catching his breath.

"Nothing, are you alright?"

"Come on Scott, get back over here," a female voice says in the background.

"Oh, you're.. I'll let you go," my heart is hammering against my ribcage as the possibilities flood my mind.

"No, it's fine. She can wait." The background noise gets softer and softer by the second. He must be walking away from her.

"Really, it's okay. I'll just go, I don't want to.. interrupt you."

"Okay," he breathes.

What?

"Okay, bye." I quickly hang up and hold my hand over my mouth to keep myself from vomiting on my mother's carpet.