3. Tris

I was a nervous wreck by the time lunch came around. I hadn't talked to Rose all day, and I hadn't meant to guilt trip her, but she should understand that I can't do it.

But then again, if I had family coming to see me, I'd want to go spend time with them too. I take a shuddering breath, "I want you to take the rest of today off," I whisper, my back still turned.

"Trissy, you know I won't do that to you. I'm asking a lot of you already. And stress isn't good for the baby," She tells me, walking closer.

"I'll be okay. You haven't had a chance to see your sister. I'm going to have a kid soon, I can't keep living in this fear all the time," I say softly, tears springing into my gray eyes.

"Everything you want is on the other side of fear." Rose gave me a hug, something nobody had done in a long time.

She left minutes later, promising me she would come back to check on me, but I knew she wouldn't. She would get distracted by her sister and forget about me.

Lunch time came and went, and not a person came through. I was okay with that, I just sat in the seat behind the counter and read my book, having nothing else to do.

The book was a modern day twist on Beauty and the Beast, between high schoolers, one arrogant and heartless, the other soft and sweet. Even behind the marks that marred the boy's body and the fact he forced her to stay with him, the girl still fell for him.

I wanted that, I wanted someone to see past my scars and baby, and just love me for me.

I was so lost in thought, I almost missed the bell chiming, telling me someone has entered. My breathing spiked and my hands shook, as my eyes slowly slid to the handsome man that stood in front of me.

"Hi," he said, his voice deep and rough, his blue eyes the color of a dark night sky. "I'm Four Eaton," he held out his hand and I tentatively took it, watching his large hand swallow mine up. I wanted to scream with terror, and hide away from embarrassment. He was the CEO that Rose was talking about.

"T-Tris," I stutter, pulling my hand away quickly. I turn around to grab his book, scanning it and printing out a receipt.

When I hand it to him, he gives me a grin that makes my heart stop. He relaxes against the counter, leaning closer to me, "Thank you, but I must know, are you a book? I'd like to check you out," he laughs to himself.

"What?" I ask, slack jawed.

"Baby, I was kidding," he smirks.

"Excuse me?" I ask again, getting a little pissed. I wrap my arms protectively around my stomach and glare at the man.

His eyes follow my movements, eyes widening in shock. "Shit, I wouldn't have hit on you if I knew you were taken."

"I-I'm not taken," I whisper.

"Look," he puts his hands up, "I don't do pregnant women. Sorry," he says, backing away.

I blush, "That's not what I meant."

"Yeah, okay. Whatever. Thanks for the book," he turns around and leaves.

Tears sting my eyes, he thinks I'm a whore, just like everyone else in the world. The stupid, wicked world.

I can't help what I am, or what happened. It's all in the past and I wouldn't want to change it now anyway.