Chapter Forty Five ~Aleena~

"So, where exactly are we going?" I asked as Renesmee and I switched clothes in the back of the car.

"Palazzo del Priori." Bella said. "The clock tower. There's an alley off to the side that takes us through a…back entrance, you could say." She shuddered, remembering when she had gone that way as a human.

I nodded as I pulled my shorts on. Buckling my seatbelt, I asked, "Who all is going with me?"

"We all are." Renesmee said, looking directly at me.

I shook my head. "No. I can't do that to you."

"Doesn't matter." Alice said. "We're all going, or none of us are."

*

When we got closer to Volterra, Alice stopped the car.

"What are you doing?!" I yelled. "I've got to save Seth!"

"I know!" she said. "But we can run faster than this car can move." With that said, she and Bella got out of the car.

I looked at Renesmee.

She shrugged and followed them.

"Now, we'll have to go around and find a spot where there aren't any people around." Alice said.

"Or we can just go in there." I said. "Look." There was a hole in the wall, at the right height for us to fit through.

*

"Real genius, Aleena." Alice said.

"What? How was I supposed to know this was a sewer?! I've never been here before."

"She's right, Alice." Renesmee said. She looked around the dark sewer. "Where are Dad and Jake?"

"I don't know." Bella said, shaking her head. "When I talked to Edward, he said they were right behind us."

"Well, they better get here as soon as possible." Alice said.

"Either way," I said, "I'm going. I have to find Seth." I started walking slowly through the sewage.

*

"This is so disgusting!" I said. "I should not have worn shorts. Or flip-flops." I added, shuddering when something slid across my foot.

"You?" Renesmee said. "I'm wearing a dress! Alice! Why did you make me wear a dress?!"

"Well, I wasn't planning on trudging through sewage." She threw a glare in my direction. I rolled my eyes and ignored her.

"Okay. Stop." Bella said.

We stopped and looked at her.

"You and you." She pointed at Alice and I.

"What?" we said at the same time.

"Stop fighting! We need everyone's support right now. And that includes you two."

"Why should I apologize?" I asked. "I thought I had found a faster way into Volterra. I didn't know it was a sewer."

"I know." Bella said. She turned to Alice. "Alice, she didn't know." Alice crossed her arms and looked away.

"Alice, please." Renesmee begged.

"No." I said. They all looked at me. "If she doesn't want to apologize, she doesn't have to."

"What?" Bella shrieked.

I nodded.

"She doesn't have to. I know I have her support."