24 | types of OCs

without further ado, here are different types of OCs i have come across while reading TMR fanfiction:

THE 'BLACK BELT' OC

the average teenager won't be able to dismantle a griever with their bare hands, okay? some OCs are given incredible martial arts skills with no explanation. and said abilities almost always suddenly disappear when they need the love interest to ~*Save Them*~ so it's like ???

if you're going to make them all chuck norris you may as well add the fact that they trained before coming to the maze or something (like i did with dylan).

THE 'SASSY SPITFIRE' OC

there's always that one OC who takes the most overused comebacks and throws them into someone's face and it's a BURN

"You're ugly," Gally spat.

"Your face is ugly!" I shot back. A chorus of "ohhhhhh's" rose up from the crowd surrounding us. I fell back into them with my arms spread out wide, smirking in satisfaction as Gally's face went beet red. Jeff started running in circles while screaming. Frypan was crying. Minho placed a crown on my head and hailed me the Sass Queen™.

 Minho placed a crown on my head and hailed me the Sass Queen™

w h y

THE 'WHAT EVEN IS YOUR PERSONALITY' OC

this is the one i mentioned in a previous chapter, where they're a cinnamon roll one second and a sinnamon roll the next. it's like the sour patch kids commercial: "first they're sour, then they're sweet."

seriously, this type is so confusing and probably the most annoying. their mood changes every three seconds until you're lost and somebody's dead and you're still like what.

this is the OC that is all cutesy smiles around, say, thomas. and then some random glader passes and they go all tae-kwon-do on them and scream at gally and turn all shy when they look at thomas again.

 and then some random glader passes and they go all tae-kwon-do on them and scream at gally and turn all shy when they look at thomas again

THE 'REGINA GEORGE' OC

everyone has probably written the OC whom everyone likes except that one character (aka gally). some will walk through the glade with people falling at their feet.

THIS JUST IN: not everyone gets along with everyone!!!!

THE 'KNOW-IT-ALL' OC

you know the one. they spectacularly know EVERYTHING about the maze based off of some extremely convenient dream/the changing, and they steal thomas and teresa's spotlights and are like I AM THE SOLE PERSON TO GET US OUT OF THIS MAZE and then they are a Hero™.

THE 'TERESA AGNES' OC

the OC that is literally teresa. they have the same storyline, actions, personality, and ideas as she does, but everyone likes her more than they like teresa which makes zero sense but okay. these OCs are commonly created because people simply don't like teresa or don't want to have two girls in the glade at once so their OC gets all the attention
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

THE 'MY ONLY PURPOSE IS TO BE WITH MY LOVE INTEREST' OC

[screams]

i get that you want to fufill your dreams of making out with minho all day but KEEP DOING THAT IN YOUR DREAMS, NOT IN FANFICTION. i've read some where the OC's only purpose is to have children with their love interest.

a) thanks for demeaning females by saying her only purpose is to make babies, and b) do you really want them to do the do that badly???

give your OC their own separate storyline!! romance should not be the absolute main focal point of your story.

THE 'BRENDA' OC

aka the one that's literally brenda, just with a name change and a different faceclaim.

i'm not brenda's #1 fan but you can't really just remove her for the sake of having thomas as a love interest. she's important!! very important!!!

THE 'CLINGY' OC

this title doesn't really fit but i couldn't think of anything else. this is the OC that instantly clicks with the ivy trio and is suddenly bffs with them all despite having known them for approx. 12 hours.

THE 'AIN'T NOBODY FRESHER THAN MY MOTHERSHUCKING CLIQUE' OC

this goes back to the very first chapter, where the OC only talks to the fab five. to me, it's so much more interesting when people add in their own characters that you grow to love and cherish just as much as the canon ones. i'm not saying having them be friends with the main characters is wrong. however, it cam get a little old when all they do is talk to the same four people for the entire book.

i hope i haven't offended anyone by this if you think your OC falls into one of these categories!!