Chapter 55

Luke's point of view

As the day went on I continued with my regular camp activities. At one point during a break between activities I overheard some campers discussing the annual Fourth of July fireworks display. It had been delayed because on the fourth of July the war was still going on. The Hephaestus cabin who puts on the display had protested, but they eventually agreed that it was best not to let our guard down for the event. I heard that even though the display is the same every year it is quite impressive.

My next activity was sword class with the Hermes cabin. I think everyone at camp knows that because of my dad being the god of swordsmanship the sword is my best weapon. Half the time new sword techniques come to me without anyone having to teach me them. That doesn't mean that I don't have to take the classes though since I can still practice, and learn new techniques that I don't already know there. Sometimes the classes cover things that I already know, but they are still helpful, and allow me to practice.

After the sword class ended I saw one of the Hermes girls walking toward me. As she got closer I realized that she was the same girl that I sometimes noticed staring at me, I realized that she was also the same girl that I had saved during the battle. As she approached me she appeared to be nervous. When she reached me I wasn't sure what to say so I just said, "Hi."

She replied, "Hi, I wanted to thank you for saving me during the battle, I probably wouldn't be here right now without you."

I replied, "Really it was nothing, I would never let someone die if I can help it."

"What's your name?" I asked her.

We never spoke before the war really got started, and we hadn't spoken since it ended either, so I hadn't learned her name yet. Blushing slightly she replied, "Oh I'm Taylor."

I started to say, "I'm Luke." but I quickly realized that she probably already knew that since I think the whole camp knew who I was. As I remembered that I gradually went silent, and I blushed slightly embarrassed.

Not making fun of me or anything she just said, "I know, the whole camp does. You're Luke Smith, the only son of Perseus, blessed by Poseidon and Hermes, defeater of the Minotaur, the chimera, the Neman lion, the gorgons, Krios, Perses, Polybotes, Ephialtes...

That was when I interrupted her, I said, "Really I didn't do all that, I had help for most of that."

She replied, "You are too modest, you should take the credit."

I quit arguing, but I wasn't eager to take the credit when I had help for most of those things.

After that we started talking about unimportant things. Even though when the conversation started she had seemed nervous, and I had been unsure what to say we both became more comfortable with talking to each other, and when the conversation ended I wondered if I had made a new friend. But there was something different about her, sometimes as I spoke I would notice her blushing even though she would try to hide it.

At dinner that night Chiron announced that the fourth of July fireworks would be held the next night since they had been delayed and no one wanted them to be canceled. Even though they would be late. He also announced that since the Hunters, and romans would be leaving soon there would be a capture the flag game against the two groups the next Friday.

I had heard about how capture the flag was played at camp. Many of the campers said that it was their favourite camp activity. Once I heard that the hunters had gone undefeated for so long I couldn't help but wonder how high our chances really were. Considering how long the hunters' winning streak was it made it feel like we didn't have a chance.