Friends With Benefits 15

"Melissa!"

I grit my teeth in anger, clenching my fists in an attempt to calm myself. After breathing deeply I extract myself from my desk chair and run downstairs to see dad still in the same position as earlier on the couch, his face etched into a look of horribly faked pain. "What?"

"I need a refill."

"Dad!" I glare at him and his look transforms into one of innocence. "Stop calling out to me, this is the fifth time now!"

"But I'm thirsty," He pouts.

"Oh my God," I growl in frustration and stomp over to the coffee table in front of him. "I put the jug of water right there, dad!"

"I can't get up, look," He protests while moving his upper body slightly, pretending to struggle with the task. He falls back on the couch and turns a raised eyebrow to me. "See? I'm sick,"

"Dad," I snort while pouring him another glass of water. "You're not disabled, you had a heart attack,"

"You say it likes it's nothing," He grumbles and graciously accepts the glass of cold water.

"It is nothing," I lie, trying to lighten the mood. Very rarely, but sometimes still an occurrence, dad's heart problems force him into a state of depression that he remains in for at least a few days. I try to steer him away from those episodes as best as possible. "Get use to it, old man,"

"Shut up," He throws an ice cube at me. I raise my eyebrow at its melting position on the floor and he grins sheepishly. "Whoops,"

"Yeah, sure, 'whoops'," I shake my head before heading back to the staircase. "I'm going upstairs. Try to refrain from calling me back down unnecessarily, I'm studying,"

"Have fun!" He calls after me and a smile forces it's way onto my face. I really do love my dad.

When I enter my room Jaidyn's awake, his eyes drooping slightly and his eyebrows furrowed. "What's happening?"

Even though our little incident happened a couple of hours ago, and I'd afterwards laid and watched a movie with Jaidyn, I still couldn't force away my blush. "Dad's just being lazy,"

I feel his gaze on me as I make my way over towards the desk and plonk back down in my chair.

"What are you doing?" He asks quietly.

"I'm studying for our history assessment tomorrow,"

"I forgot about that," He groans and snuggles back into my bed, wrapping the duvet around him securely before hiding his head. "The bed smells of you,"

I frown at his comment and for some reason I'm blushing again. "It always smells like me,"

"Never this much," He protests. "Anyway, so is everything settled for tomorrow?"

"The kissing booth?" He makes a sound of agreement. "Yeah it's all fine. The principal is going to set it up during third so at lunch we can get straight to work,"

"Sweet then,"

"Oh speaking of our principal," I shout loudly in order for dad to hear, a smirk on my face.

"Melissa!" Dad yells and I hear him moving around. Less then a minute later he's standing in my doorway, his eyes wide. "Shut your mouth!"

"Oh so you can move now? You're no longer sore or sick or incapable?" I raise my eyebrows and Jaidyn laughs loudly.

Dad's eyes narrow and he points at me threateningly. "Don't say a word about anything! I'm going for a shower,"

I can't control my giggles as I watch him retreat and head for the bathroom.