It's Not The Same

Chapter Twenty-Seven:
It's Not The Same

"Oh fuck they're all here." Natasha said as soon as we saw Dennis, Thomas, Dani, and Margo who were all huddled surrounding a fire pit by the tobogganing area. "This is a bad idea. Why did I agree to do this?"

"You're here to make amends, remember?"

"Yeah, but I feel like all of them are going to judge me. Mave, they hate me."

"Stop it!" I demanded, raising my voice. "They don't hate you. You're here to make things clear, and to move on. Fuck, if they disrespect you for doing so, I will beat the crap out of them." I adjusted my toque and my scarf stressfully, then stared at my best friend, looking at her as seriously as I can. Then, I unbuckled my seatbelt.

"Okay." Nat said, calming herself down. "Okay. I can do this."

"I'm going to get our sled and toboggan, so you go and greet them. I'm right behind you." I held Nat's shaking hand, and squeezed it reassuringly. "Now don't worry. We'll have fun, okay?"

Nat nodded her head, and we got out of the car. I immediately went at the back of Nat's car to get two lightweight, plastic sleds, and one wooden toboggan. To my surprise, Dani appeared beside me asking,

"Need a hand?"

"You can carry the toboggan if you're up for it. Or, you can carry the sleds, which aren't that heavy." I answered.

"I'll carry the toboggan." Dani said, determined.

"Ooh. Look at you, high roller." I commented.

"Shut up." Dani said, now laughing and nudging me on my side.

"I can help you carry one of the sleds." Margo offered. I stared at her, completely surprised that she sounded so... Friendly, and nice. She smiled at me, and I can't help but notice her round snakebite piercing on the bottom of her lips. Her hair was jet black, styled into a short pixie cut, and she was taller than me, which made me kind of look up- but not that much.

Her presence was nothing that I would've expected. I thought I would feel threatened, or awkward, but damn, all I could think about is Margo is hella cool.

"Sure, here you go." I said, blinking and giving her one of the sleds. "I'm Maverick, by the way, and you must be Margo." Smiling, I held up a hand for her to shake.

"I am." She said, nodding and grinning back. "Dani talks about you a lot."

"About me? Really, what did she say?"

"I'm right here you guys." Dani announced, but Margo and I ignored her, just to mess with her. "Bad things, I bet."

"Not at all." Margo said, and winked at Dani. I'm not sure if that meant something, but it certainly made me cringe.

"I'm surprised she doesn't talk shit about me." I innocently smiled, and glanced at Dani who was rolling her eyes, in disbelief.

"Oh no, it's quite the opposite-"

"Okay! Are we going tobogganing or not?" Dani interrupted us loudly. Margo and I laughed and followed her retreating figure towards where Nat, Thomas, and Dennis were.