Chapter 5

"My father will hear about this!" -Draco Malfoy

-------------------------------------------------------

Everyone was in a rather grumpy mood when we got back to the Burrow. I was in an even worse mood when I saw Father sitting on the living room couch, waiting for me. Mr. and Mrs. Weasley quietly left us alone and shooed the kids upstairs. Harry shot me an apologetic look before following them. I turned to face Father. He stared at me for some time before speaking. "You realize you've attracted some bad attention."

"I didn't want that! He came on to us and you had no idea what he said-"

"I could care less about what you said to the Malfoy boy. I am referring to what you said to Lucius Malfoy."

"Those two! You're not honestly on their side? I thought that was an act-" Father leapt up for his place on the couch and slapped a hand over my mouth, silencing me.

"Watch what you say around people! You have no idea, what the likes of the Malfoy family are capable of! If you don't watch your mouth, then I cannot help you! You are endangering us all if you continue to speak without thinking. Remember what I told you. No one, I repeat, no one, must know of my loyalties." I nodded.

"I'm sorry." He scowled and sat back down.

"You will apologize to Draco Malfoy."

"What? That's totally unfair! I-"

"If you don't do so then Lucius will question your upbringing and suggest that it be done by another!"

"I'd rather go back to the Dursleys than apologize." Father scoffed.

"Do you really think you will have that choice? Many death eaters remain loyal to the Dark Lord even after all this time and will question my loyalties if you are taken from my care! You must not do anything that will cause the wrong people to suspect me. For your parents' sake. For your brother's sake. For yourself." He finished with a solemn expression.

"Do you not care what will happen to you?" I raised an eyebrow. Father hesitated before responding.

"I am long past the point of caring. Especially as I have not been truly happy for 18 years." At this, he stood up and headed for the fireplace.

"Haven't I ever made you happy?" Father chose not to answer and disappeared into the fireplace. I sighed.

Moments later, Harry and the twins ran downstairs. "How'd it go, Cindy? How angry was he?" Fred questioned. I sighed and sat down.

"I have to apologize to Malfoy." I heard Harry's roar of outrage.

"No! I won't let you! That's completely unfair! You don't have to do what Snape says! You can come back and live with me!"

"D'you really think the Dursleys would-you know what? Never mind. You don't understand. Father has his reasons. You won't understand now." With that, I turned on my heel and walked up the stairs.

"Then help me to." I heard his helpless plea as I ascended the stairs.

~~~~

The incident at Diagon Alley was soon forgotten at dinner with Mrs. Weasley's sadness that all her children were finally leaving her. I listened to Ginny talk as we ate dinner. She and I went upstairs to her room afterwards. She began going over her books for school. "Hey Cindy, is this your diary?" I looked up to see her holding a black book.

"No, I don't keep a diary. Ooh, what if Draco left it today?" I giggled. "Let's see if anything is written inside!" We flipped open the small book. Blank. I let out a disappointed sigh and climbed back into bed. Ginny climbed in after me.