♔ Abandoned ♔

[Mai's POV]

It was starting to get late. The park lights even turned on. I kicked my legs back and forth on the park bench. How long has it been? I brought my hands up and started counting on my fingers. It's been 3 days. I wonder when Mommy is coming back. I smiled as I thought about her. Mai has been a good girl so Mommy will praise me! I waited right here. I haven't moved an inch. I shiver as the breeze picks up. It sure is getting cold. I thought. A rumble sounded from my stomach. I wonder if Mommy will get mad if I go and get something to eat. Oh wait, Mommy didn't give Mai any money. Maybe if Mai asks REAL nice, someone will get her food. Mommy will probably scold me though.

"Hey little girl." said a husky voice. I looked up from my feet to see a man standing their wobbling back and forth.

I tilted my head sideways at him.

"Isn't it a little past your bed time? How 'bout you come home with me? I'll let you sleep in my bed." he said, his voice slurred a bit.

I shook my head at him. Mommy told me never to go with strangers! I thought.

"Aw, come on. I won't hurt 'cha~" he cooed. He grabbed my arm and started tugging at it.

I yelped and pulled away, but his grip stayed tight on my wrist.

Mommy will be mad if I go with a stranger. I thought worriedly. So I did the only thing I could think of. I bit him. He let out a yell and pulled away from me.

I took the chance to run out of the park and down the street.

"You little bitch! Get back here!" he yells behind me.

I don't stop.

I keep running.

And running.

And running...

When I finally stopped, I couldn't hear his voice anymore. I look around and realize that I don't know where I am.

Oh no... Mommy is going to be so upset with me! What if she returns and I'm not there. Oh no. I thought.

I rubbed the tears out of my eyes. I need to get back. I thought.

I started running down the streets. I ran around a corner and ran into something. I fell back with a whimper. I looked up to see a woman. She was a long pink sundress with a white jacket. She had black hair, and green eyes.

"What?" she murmured as she sat up. Her bags she was carrying laid on the ground next to her, the contents all across the ground. Oh no... look what I've done!

I scrambled over and started putting all her stuff in her bags. I went to reach for the last thing, but a hand went over it. I looked up to see the woman I bumped into. She smiled at me.

"Thank you." she said. I nodded and handed her, her bag.

She looked around, as if looking for something.

"Where is your mother little girl? Isn't a little late?" she said to me, kneeling down in front of me.

I stared at the ground. Mommy wouldn't like me talking to strangers. I thought.

I stayed silent for a while till a grumble sounded from my stomach. I forgot how hungry I was.

The woman let out a chuckle. "Well how about until your mother comes I will get you some food?" she suggested. I shook my head. "It's okay, it won't be long." she said, holding out her hand. I hesitantly grabbed it.

She led us down the road, where we stopped at a diner. We sat in a booth and the waitress gave us our menus.

"Pick whatever you like." the woman said.