Prologue

Arkham Asylum, just outside of Gotham City, has a long brutal history. Arkham Asylums own architect became mentally unwell and hacked his workers to death with an axe, thus being convicted and being sentenced to spend the rest of his life in the Asylum in which he built.

Arkham Asylum was named after the mother of its founder Amadeus Arkham, her name was Elizabeth Arkham

Arkham Asylum was named after the mother of its founder Amadeus Arkham, her name was Elizabeth Arkham. Originally called "Arkham Hospital." It's dark history began in early 1900s when Amadeus' mother suffered from mental illness most of her life, committing suicide. It was later discovered her son euthanized her, and repressed her memory.

Amadeus, heir to Arkham, decided to remodel his family home in order to treat the mentally ill. So others hopefully wouldn't suffer the fate of his own mother.

    One of Arkhams first patients was Mad Dog.  Amadeus Arkham insisted on treating Mad Dog personally. After treating Mad Dog for six months, Amadeus Arkham strapped him to an electroshock couch then deliberately and purposefully electrocuted him.
The Staff treated it as an accident, but contributed to Amadeus' descent into mental illness. He began believing it was his birth right. He became a patient in his own Asylum, where he died.

Batmans foes considered mentally ill are patients. Arkham has a record of high profile patients escaping, such as the Joker.

•••

     Harleen Frances Quinzel, M.D was a  psychiatrist at Arkham Asylum, where the Joker inhabited. Harleen becomes fascinated by the Joker while interning and volunteers to analyze him, thus falling in love. During their sessions she falls more and more hopelessly in love with the Joker. Harleen then helps the Joker escape more than once.

When the Joker returned due to Batman, the sight of him badly injured, drives her insane. Leading her to quit, and well you know the story, or do you?

•••

    The Joker falls into a vat of chemicals which bleaches his skin, colors his hair green and his lips red, and drives him insane. The Joker forgets who he was prior to his new viscous and psychotic self. Was a vat of chemicals the true explanation for whom he was now?

"Sometimes I remember it one way, sometimes another ... if I'm going to have a past, I prefer it to be multiple choice!" The Joker explains.

•••

A/N
Disclaimer: this is not a Harley Quinn love story! May write one in the future, this story will have her in it, but not based around them and all about them. Will feature her, or mention her. Will be graphic, contain sex, violence, etc.