Chapter Nine

Edited

Once we are safely in the packhouse I can't shake the feeling that something is going to happen. I try to relax my nerves so as not to worry anyone. Everyone is preparing for the pack bonfire tonight.

The pack doctor, Melissa takes Dakota from Charlie's arms so as to check her out. Luke, Shawn and Ben go help set up the fire. I busy myself so as not to let my mind wonder and no doubt worry about something stupid.

Damien comes running down the stairs hand in hand with Sally followed close behind by their siblings. Damien walks up to me giving me a hug. I smile as he pulls back and wraps a protective arm around Sally. I bite my lip to stop from laughing at her red face.

"What's happening?" Damien asks curiously looking around. He puts out his hand to grab a cookie from a plate a pack member was holding while she was passing us. I slap his hand away.

"We are having a bonfire tonight in celebration of you walking up!" I grin. He frowns.

"You don't have to do that." I smirk.

"There's food." He sighs pretending to be in deep thought.

"Well....alright!" He chirps.

I shake my head as I walk into the kitchen. I work for about an hour cooking food with the other women. Charlie comes strolling in.

"Hello ladies. Smells wonderful!" He greets everyone with a smile.

"Hello Alpha!" The women respond bowing their heads in respect.

I smile at my amazing mate who is a loving Alpha. He walks over to me hugging me from behind. He wraps his strong arms around me and kisses my neck.

My hands still while chopping and I have to hold back a moan. He steps back and turns me around. He leans in for a kiss but my eyes widen.

My stomach flips and I shake slightly. I grab the counter to steady myself.

"Baby what's wrong?" Charlie grabs me trying to hold me up. The kitchen is silent as people turn their attention to me.

"Luna, are you okay?" Someone asks.

I cannot process what they are saying because I am listening to the approaching footsteps coming to the back door. I surprise everyone by running to the door and outside to the backyard where I see the children and all of my kids playing.

Chris, Bryan and a group of other men walk quickly to the door where I stand. My heart beats rapidly when I see their angry, sad and confused faces. I run to Chris. The group bow immediately once they see me.

"What is it? Tell me what's wrong!"

"How did you-?"

"Tell me!" I growl.

"Katie, sweetie, what's wrong? Are you okay?" Charlie asks as he reaches us.

I don't answer.

I stare at the bracelet Chris is holding in his hand.

I hear pack members file out of the house to see what the problem is. I point at the bracelet and finally look at Chris. He looks taken aback once he sees my eyes. They probably look sad, scared and empty.

"Where did you get that?" My voice sounds hollow.

Charlie touches my hand and my head snaps to him. He looks pained and my wolf whimpers, not liking our mate in pain.

"Babe....you're scaring me. Have you seen that bracelet before?"

I nod slowly still staring at the colourful beaded charm bracelet.