Ø₦E

•|• We're All Mad Here •|•

It doesn't matter if you believe me or not. But common sense doesn't really work here. I'm mad, you're mad. We're all mad here.
- Cheshire Cat

•|•

ARKHAM ASYLUM looked just as sad, dull, and prison-like outside as it did inside. The people that lived outside of its walls called it a loony bin. Where  once you'd go, in you'll never leave. Inside it was the "mentally ill" who were sent here for rehabilitation.

Rehabilitation.

Nala thought that word was just stupid. But that's what a crazy person would think right? And a crazy person is what she was labeled as. Also a kicker, and a scratcher. Both were true, they were written on her chart. She saw it in her file that day it had "fallen" off of her doctors cart. Along with her very mysterious disappearances and appearances in places she wasn't suppose to be. Sometimes she got caught. But that never stopped her.

"How are we today, Nala?"

Laying on the brick that was called a bed was the teen in calling as she sharpened her nails, or as she liked to say claws, with a filer she stole out of one of the female doctors locker. It was purple and had stripes on it. She liked it very much. Her doctor, Mr. Wale was standing outside her door. Watching her through the peep hole.

"It's Cheshire. And I'm just purrfect." She purred. More focused on her nails than him.

"Where did you get that?"

"From your mom."

The lock to the door was lifted. And in seconds the nail filer was taken from her hands. Nala sat up and glared at the man in a white coat.

"Hey!"

"What have we told you about taking things that aren't yours?" She rolled her eyes. "It's time for your treatment."

"You mean torture. What is it this time, pills or potions? Or mixture of both? Either way doc you all are wasting your time." Nala went and sat criss crossed on her bed, back straight with perfect posture.

"Don't you want to get better? Go home? Don't you miss it? The real world?"

"With those cogs? No thanks. I prefer staying adrift."

Adrift was a phrase she used when she'd daze of into her land of wonder. It was were she could be herself. One where it was her own. Of course she could bring it to this world when ever she choose. Mostly when she wanted to escape.

"That place isn't real." Dr. Whale said.

"You're brain's too clogged. Open your eyes. Let your imagination run free. Like me." She flashed him a wide smile.

"No thank you. I prefer to stay in this reality."

"Then you're a cog too. Shame. Well not really, since I never liked you." Nala stretched out her arms. Eyes looking towards the ceiling.

"I'll be back with your treatment."

Once the door was locked and his footsteps faded down the hall she didn't waste time hopping onto the wall and pushing the top off the vent in her room. Pushing herself up she slides in. It was pretty dark, but that wasn't much of a problem for her. Crawling through the vents she knew so well, looking through the rooms and greeting the other inmates she saw on her journey. Only stopping when she heard a squeak.

A rat came from the vent to the side of her, freezing when it saw her glowing green eyes in the dark. She hissed at him and it scurried off. Man she hated rats. Finally she stopped at a duct that went up then curved. Nala went on her knees and pushed the cover of it open and used her upper body strength to get her out the rest of the way, turning her body and landing on gravel pieces. Finding herself on the roof of the building.

"Attempt number...hell, I don't know."

She was pretty sure she had lost count months ago. Crawling over she kneeled on the ledge and turned herself away from looking down. Her blue Arkham sweat pants and dark grey hoodie ruffled against the breeze along with her hair.

 Her blue Arkham sweat pants and dark grey hoodie ruffled against the breeze along with her hair

She stood on top of the ledge. It was time to try something new. Any time she faced the ground she always landed on her hands and feet. With aching bones and some bruises. Holding her arms out and took a deep breath. Closing her eyes for a second before opening them. Let your mind drift with the imagination and your body will follow, she started to lean back.

Right as she dropped there was a scream. It seemed to ring in her ears and she saw the world flash from the gray sky of Gotham to color. Everything going in slow motion as a butterfly can into her view. It was blue. A wide smile spread across her face, her teeth flashed with sharp ends and her eyes turned to slits and flashed blue. That word dissolved away in like a ripple in water, and in a quick cloud of purple and blue smoke she found herself sitting criss cross on the dead lawn in front of the asylum.

Nala looked down at herself. Checking her arms and legs. No damaged was done. Her joints didn't ache from a rough landing. She had done it, finally did it again. Mad laughter spilled from her lips in victory and she felt as if she couldn't stop. Pounding feet on the ground. Suddenly she was hauled up by eight different hands from the ground and lifted up into the air. Her head went back and she saw blonde hair standing at the doors into arkahm. That was all she saw before she was brought back inside, sedated and put back in her room. Smile still on her face as she slept.

•|•

(A/N: When Nala disappears it looks like this.

Just to give some kind of visual

Just to give some kind of visual. Cheshire, you are my favorite cat! )