What Islam Says About Dating

One day in sha Allah, you'll get the reward of being single till Nikaah and for keeping everything halal.

Chapter 33: What Islam Says About Dating.

The most common questions from young people are, "Do Muslims date?" and, "If they don't date, how do they decide who the right person is for them to marry?"

"Dating" as it is currently practiced in much of the world does not exist among Muslims – where a young man and woman (or boy/girl) are in a one-on-one intimate relationship, spending time together alone, "getting to know each other" in a very deep way before deciding whether that's the person they want to marry. Rather, in Islam pre-marital relationships of any kind between members of the opposite sex are forbidden.

1. Allah subhana wa'tala says:

Tell the believing men to lower their gaze and protect their private parts… "And tell the believing women to lower their gaze, and protect their private parts…" Surah al-Noor :30-31)

But Dating encourages people to deliberately look and stare and seek out the 'one' that you find attractive.

2. Allah orders the Muslim women not to talk unnecessarily or in a soft manner to strange men.

"… then be not soft in speech, lest he in whose heart is a disease (of hypocrisy, or evil desire for adultery) should be moved with desire" (Surah al-Ahzaab :32)

Even for the Sahaabah, Allah ordered them to screen themselves from the wives of the Prophet (SallAllahu 'Aliyhi Wasallam) when they need to ask them something. Who could be purer than the wives of the Prophet (SallAllahu 'Aliyhi Wasallam) and who could be higher in taqwa than the Sahaabah?

"And when you ask (the Prophet's wives) for anything you want, ask them from behind a screen, that is purer for your hearts and for their hearts. (Surah al-Ahzaab: 53)

Yet, in Dating, you see young men and women who are absolutely not mahram for one another in any way whatsoever, going way beyond this prohibition. Not only are they talking to each other in a soft and flirtatious way, but they are right out expressing their 'love' (in reality, lust) for each other.

3. The Sunnah prohibits a man and a woman from being alone together at any time.

The Prophet (SallAllahu 'Aliyhi Wasallam) said:

"Whoever believes in Allah and the Last Day, let him not be alone with a woman who has no mahram present, for the third one present will be the Shaytaan." (Ahmad — saheeh by al-Albaani)

But those who celebrate Valentine's Day etc purposely seek to be alone with each other and go out on dates with each other while Allah says:

"And come not near to unlawful sex. Verily, it is a Faahishah (i.e. anything that transgresses its limits: a great sin, and an evil way that leads one to hell unless Allaah Forgives him)"
(al-Isra' :32)

4. Islam prohibits a man to even touch a non-mahram woman.

The Prophet (SallAllahu 'Aliyhi Wasallam) said: