Wattpad Original
This is the last free part

Chapter 9

I go home after agreeing to a meeting with Logan later tonight. I still don't know if it's a good idea or not, but I'm desperate so I guess I'll have to wait and see. He doesn't live far from me so it won't take me too long to get to his house.

My mind is racing, and my heart is squeezing tight in my chest. I've never felt so lost and helpless before. It's like the answers to my prayers came knocking on my door and I'm too afraid to open it.

What if he's crazy or a maniac?

What if he's a creep? Or violent?

Or what if he's just a nice guy, willing to help me?

I have no idea what to think, but seeing my father die right in front of my eyes when I could have done something to change it will never be an option for me. For the first time in a long time, it seems like I can do something to help him, and I'd be crazy if I don't, at least, hear what Logan has to say.

When I get home, I'm surprised to see Mary cooking and dad sitting at the table reading a book, but I choose not to comment. I'm sure there's something going on with them, though, and they'll tell me whenever they're ready.

Something tells me they are a real item now or have been for some time, and I just know they've been talking about life, about me leaving everything to come back home, and about them being together for good. But most of all about life, and how precious and short it is.

I have no idea how Mary has convinced him to do something so simple as having a barbecue with friends after I've tried hard to get him to socialize more, but, for now, I am just grateful for all she's been doing to bring him some perspective.

"Hey, guys." I open the fridge to get a bottle of water and when I turn to them, they are both looking at me with a weird look on their faces.

"I was just telling Mary about Logan... He seems to be a nice guy," dad says, not taking his eyes off me.

Oh Boy!

"I guess." I shrug, not wanting to give anything away. I have no idea what our talk later today will bring us, so there's no way I'm falling for his 'Logan looks nice' line.

"I hope he can come to the barbecue on the weekend?" he probes, and I take a sip of my water as I think about how I'll navigate this line of questioning.

"Yeah, we'll see. Uh... You guys seem cozy lately, what's going on?" I smirk, ignoring my previous thought of letting them open up about their relationship whenever they're ready. Sure, changing the subject will do it.

"Yeah, Mary has been great lately," he says, and I'm taken aback. He has never expressed any kind of romantic feelings toward her, so I don't know how to react.

Mary smiles fondly at him, and when I look at him, I see the same emotion reflected in his eyes. I feel like I'm invading some kind of private moment, so I clear my throat.

"Uh... That's great! I mean, you're really great, Mary." I smile at her, willing myself to try to act normal, and not jump from happiness.

"Oh." She looks down, a trace of red on her cheeks "Your dad is just trying to get me to cook for him more often."

"I was thinking about buying some groceries for the barbecue, Mary. What do you think?" I ask, not able to contain the big smile on my face this time when she looks at him.

It's not like they're confessing their love for each other or anything, but just having them both kind of stop denying there's something going on there makes me way too happy.

"Oh, sweetie, I've already done that, thanks." She takes her eyes from my dad and smiles at me.

"Okay. Good! Uh... I'll go get ready for work." I say, looking at both of them trying to decipher what's going on as they both seem to be having a silent conversation with each other.

icon lock

Show your support for Celeste, and continue reading this story

by Celeste
@CelesteABrook
[Billionaire / Fake Relationship] The last thing Livy expects is to f...
Unlock a new story part or the entire story. Either way, your Coins help writers earn money for the stories you love.

This story has 56 remaining parts

See how Coins support your favorite writers like @CelesteABrook.