Confrontation

The last lecture of summer classes finally comes to an end and I walk out with Rachel by my side while Mustafa lingers on behind us. Rachel tells me about her date with John last night, purposely excluding Mustafa out of the conversation as she was mad at him for not telling us why he hit Jake.

We get to the cafeteria and sit down on our usual table with our lunch when Becky comes up.

"Amina! It's been so long. I know we don't work together anymore but we're still friends.", she says and continues after a pause,"We are, right?"

I stand up and give her a brief yet warm hug, smiling. "Of course, we are. I've just been so busy I didn't get time to call you or anything. Why don't you have lunch with us if you're free?", I ask.

Her broad smile was clearly a 'yes' so I sit down and pat at the chair beside me, head-nodding towards it. She takes a seat and greets Rachel and Mustafa happily.

Rachel returns the smile and offers Becky her cheesy french fries. Mustafa, on the other hand, narrows his eyes at her, his arms folded.

I notice the unwavering stare he fixes on Becky but I get back to my conversation with her, not wanting to create a scene; or better put, not allowing Mustafa to create a scene.

We walk to the parking lot after the lunch, saying goodbye to Becky on our way who is now gone to collect her research material from the library.

"Want me to give you a ride?", Rachel asks. My eyes dart to Mustafa and I look back at Rachel, replying,"Actually, I think I need a word with Mustafa."

Mustafa looks up at me right away, confused at first but then probably anxious to leave.

"Whatever suits you. Text me when you get home.", she says indifferently and leaves.

I turn to Mustafa who is leaning on a wall, tapping his finger on one of his crossed arms.

"Make it quick. I need to leave.", he says as I face him.

"No, you don't.", I flatly.

He looks into my eyes, studying me and then heaves a sigh. "Alright, what is it?", he asks.

"What is it?", I ask sounding astonished by his attitude. "You don't know what this is about?"

He sighs again and says,"I know." He continues after a brief pause,"Look, we've known each other for quite some time..."

I cut him off and say,"Exactly, Mustafa. We've known each other for quite some time and yet I don't know what the heck is going on with you! I didn't ask you anything in the alley because I was hoping you'd explain everything yourself but my oh my, was I wrong!"

"Can I speak?", he asks, raising his eyebrows.

I scoff at him, rolling my eyes and then I look away. Taking my silence as a yes, he begins to speak,"Amina."

He pauses.

"I can't explain what you saw in the alley. I have my reasons. I know it sounds ridiculous but I need you to trust me."

"I can't trust someone who keeps secrets.", I snap.

"But you can trust Azan.", he says indignantly.

Taken aback by mention of Azan at this point of our conversation I glare at him and ask,"What do you mean? No, in fact, what does Azan have to do with any of this? Where'd he come from?"

He sighs yet again and speaks,"Nothing. I'm sorry. Look, let's talk about this some other time. I really have to go."

He begins to walk but I clench my fist and speak loudly," What the hell  is wrong with everyone! Why can't anyone just tell me anything? Why all the games and the tricks and these sick, twisted words."