Chapter 6

Christine

I scurried into the small classroom where my voice teacher was waiting. I peered in and immediately recognized the tall, plump, red-haired woman. If I hadn't known who it was, I never would have mistaken the thick accent.

"So the little toad is my student!"

I felt my cheeks go red as she dragged me over to the piano. "Do scales now!"

She played a scale and kept going higher and higher until my voice broke. She scoffed, and smacked the piano. I winced, "I'm sorry."

She rolled her eyes and threw out an aria. "Sing this." I looked at her, I hadn't even had time to practice!

"Mrs.Gudicelli, wouldn't you like me to practice first?"

She gave me a look that said "I hate you" Then, she opened her mouth, and actually spoke,

"I must first hear you sight read the music. My other students don't need to practice to get it right."

I felt my face heat up and let her play the introduction.

"Poor fool-"

"WRONG!"

I looked at her, surprised,

"What's my mistake?"

She gave me a pointed look, then sighed, shaking her head. "You came in too early. "

She began to play, and I counted in my head.

1, 2, 3, 4, 1, 2, 3, 4

"Poor fool, he makes me laugh-"

She held up one hand to stop me and pressed another to her head as if she had a headache. Crap, I gave my teacher a headache.

"Wrong again! I will show you!"

She began to play, smirking the whole time. "POOR FOOL, HE MAKES ME LAUGH, HA HA HA HA HA! HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA! TIME I TRIED TO GET A BETTER BETTER HALF!"

I nearly vomited in my mouth as I heard her voice. It sounded of glass breaking and overly dramatic verbrado.

"POOR FOOL HE DOESN'T KNOW ,

HOHO, HOHO, HO...

IF HE KNEW THE TRUTH HE'D NEVER, EVER, GO!"

I forced a smile and gave her applause. She seemed happy enough, so I grinned even wider.

"Brava!"

She smirked, and began to play,

"You try!"

"Poor fool, he makes me laugh, ha-"

Mrs.Gudicelli shook her head, and I forced back a groan.

Erik

I watched as Christine struggled to please Carlotta.

"No, no, little toad! You have no emotion!"

I nearly gave away my hiding spot from laughing. The only emotion this song conveyed was vain pride! I observed Christine as she managed to hold back from punching Carlotta.

"Of course, Mrs. Gudicelli, I'll try my best to sound like you!"

I felt cocked my head, wondering what her 'best sound'. She began to sing, her voice wavering like insanity.

"POOR FOOL, HE MAKES ME LAUGH, HA HA HA HA HA! HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA! TIME I TRIED TO GET A BETTER BETTER HALF!"

I was shaking with laughter as I watched Carlotta's dumbstruck expression.

"POOR FOOL HE DOESN'T KNOW ,

HOHO, HOHO, HO...

IF HE KNEW THE TRUTH HE'D NEVER, EVER, GO!"

Christine gave her a sickly sweet smile and waited. Carlotta's face transformed into that of wonder.

"That was the best I have ever heard!"

Poor Christine's dumbfounded expression made me smile as I walked out of the small passageway where I had been waiting. I stored back to my desk and waited for the phone to ring. Sure enough, not five minutes later, my phone rang.

"Yes?"

"Mr. Destler? I was wondering if the offer still stands on the lessons?"

I heard screaming in the background and heard glass break.

"Of course. When would you like to have a lesson?"

I heard her scream and heard another crash. I winced and listened intently for her to reply.

"Now seems nice!"

I grinned, this was amazing!

"Great. See you soon."

I hung up the phone and heard as rushed footsteps echoed in the hall.

"Bye, Mrs. Gudicelli!"

"YOU LITTLE TOAD, I WILL HAVE YOU EXPELLED FOR YOUR COMMENTS!"

An exhausted Christine sprinted into my classroom, running straight into me.

"Woah!"

I caught her around her waist and spun her around. She gasped and looked up.

"Oh, Mr. Destler, I'm so sorry!"

"It's alright. Why were you running? "

She shrugged, "Angry teacher."

I nodded and led her to my piano.

"Let's start with warm-ups."

Christine

Mr. Destler was kind to me during our lesson, and completely gracious when I told him about Mrs. Gudicelli. He seemed a little less surprised than I thought, but I ignored it. Instead of being berated, and insulted, I actually learned techniques and skills. After my lesson, I went to the diner. Meg had already started her shift, so I quickly joined her.

"What did I miss?"

She glanced up and smiled.

"You see that couple over there?" She said, pointing at a young man and woman making out in the corner. "They tip really, really well! I served them yesterday, and got a fifty!" I gave her a stunned look, as I tied on my apron, "That's wonderful! How were your classes?" Hee smile widened, "I have the most amazing teacher, MY MOM!"

I laughed as she told me all her issues. "And she called me out in front of everybody to showcase what a perfect pirouette looks like! And I failed! I've thought that it was the easiest move it the world!"

I giggled and kept listening. Then she asked me how my lesson was. I shuddered, and I told her the full story. By the end of it, she was on the floor laughing.

"'Little toad!' So-" ,Laughter, "So priceless! And throwing vases is-", More laughter, "So, so funny!"

I rolled my eyes, "Not funny! It was so mortifying!"

Meg wiped away the last of her tears, "Okay, okay! Table 5 needs you! "

I spun around and saw a familiar face.

Ooh, suspence! Who do you think it is? Is it Erik? Who do you want it to be? Let me know in the comments! Have a lovely day!
Your Obedient Servant,
emmsy662