Dance of Swords

Aphmau and Laurence conversed among themselves as I finally took the time to check the contents of the treasure chest. Of course, as soon as I opened it, there lay a letter neatly folded on top of all the other junk inside. It read:

I heard of your predicament. Enjoy the care package! See it as a welcome back gift.

Love, Vylad

I smiled as I place the small note in my satchel, soon digging inside and removing the material inside. Diamonds, emeralds, healing potions, etc. filled the chest, a polished and seemingly high quality bow buried underneath it all. I held back a slightly overdramatic anime gasp once the realization dawned on me that it was the old bow my mother gave me on my 12th birthday. My surprised Pikachu meme face slowly turned into that of a gentle smile and tears pricking at the corner of my eyes.

Footsteps sound as they make way up the stairs of the guard tower, prompting me to quickly wipe any sign of tears from my eyes. Can't let anyone know I ugly cry very badly, like really, really badly. Instant regret once it turned out to just be Malachi. Agh, I've failed as an aunt that gives crazy, but also somehow sagely, advice.

"I-I'm sorry to bother you all, but could you meet us at Levin's house once you're all done here?" He sounded nervous when asking, stuttering a little more than usual. The three of us all replied with some form of a yes, mine slightly more questioning than the others, and he soon left after. I equipped my quiver and placed half of the currency/building material in my personal pocket space, cause y'know, fuck inventory. I ensured to reload my quiver quickly, following close behind Aphmau chasing a rushing Laurence.

"Laurence! Laurence! This isn't a race!" She called behind him. He didn't get too far away, him stopping at the end of the walkway to the guard tower. Aphmau passes him with almost no concern, asking why he'd stopped in the first place only for her to interrupt herself.

All of the town were in the middle of the literal fucking town, everything decorated in either balloons or streamers. A nervously happy Levin bounced towards us, awkwardly smiling as he exclaimed "SURPRISE!" We all stared at him for a moment, giving looks of confusion, bewilderment, or a combination of the two.

"Levin, what is this all about?" Aphmau finally asks for us all. Levin takes a moment to gather the right words for his response, his once nervous smile becoming a more gentle and kind one.

"We wanted to do something special for you and everyone else who came back, so we decided to throw a small party here in town!" He happily begins, hands fluidly moving in time with his speech, "I asked Kawaii~Chan to cater the party while Malachi and I set up everything..." He mumbled a bit about Kawaii~Chan's old cakes she'd bake from way back when, or about a month or so ago for me, before continuing "We wanted to make you feel welcomed, since we could tell you were having a hard time setting in" He bashfully finishes, awkwardly rubbing the back of his neck.

Aphmau seems to tear up as she tries finding the right response, whatever that was being completely deaf to my ears as I think about how convenient Vylad's care package was. Then again, knowing Vylad fucking coincidentally conceived idea Ro'Meave, it could purely be a coincidence and nothing more. The thought of all of this happening to ensure our comfort gave me a case of the feels, heart clench edition.

"H-Hey! Come on! Smile!" Levin tries to calm us down, Aphmau quite literally streaming tears and me holding my hand to my chest and clenching my tunic fabric in that general area, "W=We want you to have fun! Haha... So come on... Go and enjoy!" The tense questioning was almost hidden by the excited tone laced over it, almost though. He honestly had no idea about how to go about two women that were a big part of his toddlerhood seeming to be in literal tears . He should take notes from Laurence, who was nonchalantly watching this happen and even checking some mock watch on his wrist ever now and again, and just let it happen.