Chapter 19 - Seeking Trouble

I've had my fair share of mistakes and poor decisions, but this one, by far, takes the cake - I was going to see Mark.

I asked myself time and time again what the hell was I thinking. I was pacing back and forth so much that I was sure my shoes would leave imprints on the shiny marble floor.

Apparently, the receptionist of Mark's building shared my opinion because he kept on staring at me with a disapproving frown and one hand on his phone. He was probably dying to call security. A part of me hoped that he would and save me from my own stupidity.

Many times, I would order myself to leave, realizing how potentially dangerous this was, and I would walk over to the door. However, before I would grab the handle I'd change my mind again and I'd head back to the elevator, excusing my decision by rationalizing how I only wanted to check things out before I pass the information to Sean.

I was by no means gunning for Sean's job. I didn't want to be looking for a serial killer. I was simply trying to help him, by figuring out whether it was even worth telling him about Jess and Mark's relationship.

No matter how I justified it, the truth was that I wanted to be the one to confront Mark. I wanted to stare into his eyes when I ask him if he knows Jess. I wanted to watch his reaction when I show him the picture of the two of them that I had. I wanted to know how were they involved.

I was reckless and impulsive, and maybe that wouldn't have been such a problem if only I were an imbecile who didn't know any better. The sad point was, I knew what I was doing. I was putting myself in more danger than ever before.

Who in their right mind would want to confront a potential serial killer? It was madness - and yet, I was doing it.

I was doing it because, against my better judgment, I wanted to know and, despite Sean's promise, I didn't believe him to keep me up to date about the progress of his case. I wasn't even entirely sure if I should trust him to give me the exclusive I was promised once the killer was caught. By then he wouldn't need the cover and our deal would be hanging on a thin thread, and with the way I kept pissing him off, I couldn't be certain that he would keep his word.

"Frankie?" I swirled on my heels and found the devil himself - Mark, standing a few steps away from me and frowning in confusion. "What are you doing here?"

While I was struggling to decide what to do, Mark arrived and made that decision for me. I took him showing up as a sign and I approached him with determination. "We need to talk."

"Talk about what?" he asked, looking like he was genuinely surprised.

I was so caught up with trying to change my mind about confronting him that I completely missed the part of how I would go about it. I was actually speechless.

Well, then, I thought. Actions speak louder than words, right?

I pulled my phone out of my pocket and scrolled through it. Taking a deep breath and setting my eyes on his, I showed him the picture I took of him and Jess.

His reaction was immediate. His eyes jumped from the photo to look at me in surprise and incredulity. He grabbed my hand and pulled me towards the elevator.

"What are you doing?" I snatched my hand back. I preferred staying with the witnesses around.

"You said we needed to talk," he said as he impatiently pressed the button to call the elevator a couple of times and soon the doors slid open before us. When he looked at me, his eyes were narrowed and he was clutching his jaw. "You're right. We definitely need to talk."

Mark stepped into an elevator and waited for me to follow. I took in his tense posture and glanced back at the receptionist who now lost all interest in me.