11.

11.

Marceil.

A Few Days Later.

"Damn it's hot." Xavier said, wiping the sweat from his brow. "Hell yeah, I know we been working past break." Adam responded and I nodded agreeing. We had been in the fields all morning and I knew it had to be after noon now. I was getting tired, and I was definitely hungry.

"Mister Tom, is we gone get a break?" Xavier asked, as he rode by on his horse. He paused, as everyone in our area looked to him for an answer. "Y'all ain't clear all that land yesterday. Y'all gone get back to work." He said smartly, before he kept on. We all let out sighs, and I shook my head.

A few of the women started singing, as we all got back to work and I started thinking about Aminata. Since I was off on Monday, I went by that shack we had came across and I had started working on fixing up that old boat. She was pretty excited when I showed her that night. I was glad cause she got mad at me for being with Tabi again.

I was wondering if I could just drop Tabi, but I ain't want to hurt her feelings. I knew she was liking me a whole bunch and she was okay enough, she just wasn't Aminata. I ain't really know what to do, but I know if I want Aminata to be mine, I'd have to give her up. She was starting to hang out with Adam, and I ain't like that none.

He was friendly enough, but he was a little too friendly with her. I knew Aminata, ain't like him in that way, but I was afraid she'd get mad at me for real and end up thinking he was better for her. I ain't had no problem with him, but I might if he don't keep it friendly. I sighed and cleared my thoughts focusing back on work.

A few more hours passed, before Mister Tom blew his whistle. "Lazy niggers, get more work done when ya ain't fed and full." He sneered going around the plot. "Y'all done for the day." He said and I sighed in relief. Everything was hurting my back, especially.

"Finally, thought I was gone die." Xavier said and I nodded agreeing. "I'm bout hungry as hell. I'm going to see if Inez done cooked something." Adam said. "Ma Dear, here I come." Xa said and I shook my head. "I'll see y'all tomorrow probably. I'm gone eat and head to sleep." Adam said and we nodded.

"See ya tomorrow." Xa said, as he went towards his cabin. "Boy, I tell ya they gone kill us with this work and not even gone feel bad about it. Just replace us with another slave." Xa said and I shook my head. I knew it was true but I hated that they treated us like trash, that could be replaced easily.

"I'll be round soon." Xa told me before going in his cabin and I nodded. I went in mine and nobody was here still. I grabbed my extra set of clothes and a bar of soap and headed out to the creak. I was hot and sweaty as hell , being under the sun all day.

Once I got there I didn't see nobody so I went ahead and took my clothes off before getting in. I made quick work of washing, since I was hungry and finished up in a few minutes. I got out and let myself dry a little before I put my clothes on.

I went back to the cabin, and it was still empty. They must've been working everybody pretty late today. I grabbed a few biscuits that Ma Dear made this morning, and sat on my bed to eat them. A few minutes passed before there was a knock.

I went to open it and, Xavier was there. "Where everybody at?" He asked and I shrugged. "I think they still by the house." I told him and he nodded. "Well let's go see. I wonder if Reina can get us some food." He said rubbing his stomach. I laughed and got up.

I followed him out of the cabin, towards the back of the house. He knocked on the back door and a few minutes later, Reina opened it. "Hey," she said quietly. "Hey, where everybody at?" Xa asked her and she shook her head. "It's not a good time." She said looking at me.