19. Forget About It

19. Forget About It

If there was one thing in the world Maisie never expected, it was that her mom's candle business actually took off

"What do you mean people are buying them?" Maisie asked as she sat in her bakery beside Charity.

Her mom had come running into the building with a box overloaded with candles, that ranged from fluorescent yellow to a depressing grey floral wallpaper, and a thick wad of cash in the other. Maisie's mouth had dropped open and Charity was just confused.

"My candles," Cindy Small said. "People are actually buying my candles, with money."

"They probably bought it thinking it was Yankee Candle seeing as you practically stole their logo," Tony Small pointed out as he grabbed some cupcakes from the cabinet and quickly put down some money on the counter when Maisie glared at him.

Cindy suddenly threw the stack of money down on the table with a smack and Charity flinched before tentatively slipping a finger through each bill until her eyes were blown wide and she was practically gawking at it.

"Oh my god," Charity breathed and ran a hand over the money. "You're rich. How much is this?"

"More than enough to fix this bakery," Cindy said and Maisie's head snapped up with brute force.

"The bakery...?" she frowned. "You're going to use your money to help my bakery?"

"Maisie," Cindy said and leaned her hip against the table gently. "The candle business really took off, like completely. And it's only going to go higher. I can afford to get this place a paint job, fix up the oven...get you an AC unit."

Maisie was still in shock but Charity had a wide smile on her face. She clapped excitedly and hooked an arm over Cindy's shoulder. "Mrs. Small, you're the best!

Charity ran off to the kitchen in a gush of giddiness and Maisie stood up, leaning against the table beside her mom.

"Are you serious about this?" she asked. "I mean the bakery was never something I thought you cared about too much."

Cindy smiled. "But you care about it" she said. "And that's enough."

Maisie surged forward and gave her mom a rig hug. "Thank you," she said quietly.

Cindy shook her head fondly at her daughter. "Anything for you," she promised.

Tong walked over and wiped his forehead with the back of his hand. "Can we please start with the AC unit? I feel like I melt every time I walk in here. I have no idea how the cakes survive in here."

Cindy laughed. "I think we can do that. I also heard you were looking for a big freezer for cakes that need to stay cold."

Maisie nodded. "We're trying ice-cream cakes."