Chapter 1: Intruder

"Perfect, the banana muffins are out of the oven. The apple muffins go in now and the cranberry bread is finishing up. Now all that's left to do is call the Brighter Future Foundation and find out when will be a perfect time to drop off the things." I smiled at Cocoa.

Cocoa is not only my cat, but my best friend and my only companion. Cocoa is a shiny golden color with blue eyes. She got her name because every time I would bake something with chocolate, she would come around me and pur. Also her personality is sassy and sweet. She can be bitter and scratch and hiss at me and then she'll curl up by the end of my bed as I read a book. I rescued her from a pound when she was only a kitten.

Cocoa's paws tapped lightly and swiftly against the kitchen's tile floor until she reached the carpeted living room.

I picked up the phone and found the card that said Brighter Future Foundation in bright blue letters.

"Hello, this is Mike from the Brighter Future Foundation. How may I help you tonight?" he asked me as I checked the time on the stove. It's 7:30 on the dot.

"Yes, my name is Cammie Frederick and I volunteered to bake a few things for the children's orientation tomorrow." I started saying. "I just want to know when would be an appropriate time to drop the things off."

"Uh yes, Cammie Frederick, the senior from Highland County University. You attended the last weeks meeting?" Mike asked me.

"Yes," I said looking at the muffins in the over, "So what time?" I asked again.

"At about twelve in the afternoon." Mike told me.

"Okay. Thank you." I said.

"No, thank you and have a good night." he told me.

"Same to you." I smiled hanging up the phone.

Since I have no social life, I spend my time volunteering at schools and tutoring or doing something that benefits the lives of innocent children and animals. I moved acrosss the states, just to go to my dream college and become a veterinarian. This is my fourth year living here and my fourth and final year of college.

I spent four years in this state, this city, this school, and this two bedroom, one bathroom small house with no friends  or family. I wish things would change for me but I'm just not someone that people pay attention to, no matter what I do.

I kept my hair healthy and never permed it yet. It's finally long and thick, a little past my shoulders. I have always kept my medium brown skin clear and try to eat as healthy as I can. I'm pretty much on the skinny side with just a little curve but nothing to make someone do a double take. I am as blind as a bat and wear thick glasses. I don't wear a lot of accessories and I dress really plain. I know how to speak up and talk to people but I don't really know how to make friends. I'll start talking to someone and then I'll stop and that left me friendless.

I took everything out of the oven by 8:15 and packed them away for tomorrow.

"Come on Cocoa, kitchens closed for tonight." I said as Cocoa hopped off of the living room couch and followed me in to my bedroom. She jumped on my bed and curled up in a ball.

I took my clothes off and headed to the bathroom to take a relaxing, hot bath. Since I live alone, I could pretty much do what I want. I filled the tub and poured a powdery fresh smelling soap into the water. I got into the tub slowly and relaxed, resting my head against the edge of the tub.

I took my purple sponge and put a generous amount of body wash on it. I put my glasses on the ground to the side of the tub before I forgot. I started bathing my body, washing off another day of loneliness. After a half an hour I heard something fall and I paused.